Bkk St/lt And Barfines Soon Up?

kamui

Stickman writes in his last weekly:

600 baht barfines will, I reckon, soon be a thing of the past. It won't be long before gogo bars universally charge 1,000 baht for barfines. When I moved to Bangkok, a standard drink in most Bangkok gogo bars set you back 70 baht. Today that same drink will set you back anywhere from 130 (if you're lucky) to 160 baht. Drinks prices have more than doubled over the past decade while the cost of a barfine has gone up just 100 baht. Bar owners are not unaware that the girls' asking rates have also soared and customers have shown they will pay higher asking prices.

Is it true that BKK BG's are asking considerably higher ST/LT prices?

Are there already Nana/SC bars which ask for 1.000 THB barfine?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my next trip I will explore Pattaya. I've never been there alone and never explored but the Bkk prices may have just priced me out of it.

Supply and demand - given that Stick doesn't barfine women, he has no stake in this whatsoever. In BKK, I stick with a FLer that I have known since 2008, and in Patts I pay 300-baht to the owner of a bar that I have known since 2010. The girl gets half, and everyone is happy. If I elect to live there, I can always take a torch down to the beach and see what's hiding down in the bargain basement ..... :eek:

Plenty of entrepreneurs in Patts - like the lass who approached me, Thai BF in tow, to see if she could come up to my hotel room. An hour later, she was back with lover boy and they had 500 baht to spend. As I said, everyone happy.

Some one here must know... What were BFs in the 70s? or the 80s?

I can remember when LT was 500 and your clothes got folded, room was tidied and fingernails trimmed, BF was 100~200 depending on the scale of the Bar and Soi Cowboy was almost unknown, TukTuks were cheap and plentiful. There were beer bars/shacks on the corner of Asoke and Suk. Soi Zero was a viable alternative and Nana was the be all and end all of the gogo-ramas.

I've only been coming in Los for 20 years.

Comments - Flash?

I don't often read Stickman, mainly because his pages hurt my eyes. But I will say that his photography has gotten excellent over the years, and that for non-jaded newbies, the site is a mine of information when looking at the bars of LOS.

And I find examples of the good and bad 'Farang Opinion' in his reader's emails that amuse me.

Taken from the page linked to above is this from a reader:

"Aliens indeed.

This week my lady's sisters came over for the Buddha holiday. True to form I had no idea when they might arrive, when they might wish to eat, nor any inkling as to what might be on the menu. Of course all of this is academic when you consider for the past 13 years we have yet to share a table, or should I say a squat on the floor. It's not for good reason that we are referred to as aliens, as we certainly feel like them most of the time."

This for me, highlights the problems some Westerners have with other cultures - having to know what time, what menu, etc other people are going to do.

I've never had a problem being ignored by the wife/girlfriend/family, more often than not I'll be dragged to the table/mat.

Expecting the Thai culture to immediately adapt to a Western set of mores is a clear sign of an attitude deficiency.

Back to topic. I've recently become immune to the delights of BarFining, but I'm there soon and who knows what'll happen when I'm drunk, I'll report on pricing as it may happen...

Archived