Bkk St/lt And Barfines Soon Up?

kamui

Aren't there currently any people on the ground in BKK?

Anyway, Stick has been writing about current and upcoming major changes in the BKK bar scene for some time know.

- change of ownership of Nana and upcoming upgrade of Nana

- Soi Cowboy going upmarket

- female tourists going to gogo bars frequently (change of atmosphere for punters)

- new laws in regard to Farang P4P (all BGs must be registered, all hotels must register BGs together with the punter)

- prices going up

Will BKK P4P price itself out of the market?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Anyway, Stick has been predicting price hikes for some months know.

Well, I guess if he keeps it up long enough he will very likely be proven right :)

Of course, wait long enough and those guys shouting 'The world will end soon' will at some point be right too.

Sanuk!

Weird - I sat down with a Thai family when invited to their modest dwelling at the back of Soi 22 (a 'sub Soi') back in 2010 and they seemed happy enough to have me there. I felt bad, as they were clearly not particularly well off, and all I bought to the 'party' was a couple of bottles of beer - made the mistake of thinking we were going to be a pissup and not a family meal. I was only there courtesy of Ms CP and her friend - the man of the house drove her friend's BMW - but I didn't perceive any resentment to my presence.

Whatever their financial position, they had adopted a Burmese girl who, I was told, had suffered at the hands of her own parents. They all seemed well fed and happy, but I still felt uncomfortable about the things I took for granted as a kid.

Hi,

Well, I guess if he keeps it up long enough he will very likely be proven right :)

Of course, wait long enough and those guys shouting 'The world will end soon' will at some point be right too.

Sanuk!

Yep, you can't go wrong with the prediction, that P4P prices are going up.

So it might be just a sign of Stick's 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' mentality in regard to P4P:

financing his site with with P4P adverts and being in close contact with bar owners on one hand, while on the other hand almost always adding a negative touch to his P4P reports. For example he writes an extended report on the Electric Blue in Patpong (I don't know the place) on invitation of the owner and on the other hand he includes a paragraph about BGs being alcoholics and needing constant refill of hard liquor for to be able to do their job at Tilac bar in SC. I wonder if Tilac forgot to place an advert on his site?

His website design aside, I have always written highly positive about his website, but I am starting to feel a little bit uneasy about his position...

Stick has portrayed the nightlife in an "I'm not sure if I love it or hate it" point of view for a lot of years now. Obviously he makes his living from it, but appears to "look down" on the nightlife - it keeps people interested, creates discussions like this one and results in more traffic to his site.

People who read the weekly/site regularly will keep "tuning in" on a Sunday night to see if Stick has finally either turned "back" to the bar scene fully, and admit to the occasional ST or soapy, or turned away from it. Let's be honest if he fully turns his back on the bar scene he'll have to start working again if he is relying on the website as an income.

Maybe it is on the final nosedive :grinyes: . What I do really miss is his regular prediction that great and breathtaking news which cannot be detailed at this moment will come out within a week but then did never come .

Concerning the occasional predictions on Thai360 Nana should have been erased at least 2-3 times in the past years, and SC would be up for to be replaced by a skyscraper. smirk.gif

But what happened, was that SC went kind of upmarket, with Gogo's like Tilac becoming more flashy.

Concerning the occasional predictions on Thai360 Nana should have been erased at least 2-3 times in the past years, and SC would be up for to be replaced by a skyscraper. smirk.gif

But what happened, was that SC went kind of upmarket, with Gogo's like Tilac becoming more flashy.

Yup - right up to his latest column -

The euphoria amongst bar owners and naughty boys that came with the change of ownership of Nana Plaza was not just about the survival of the plaza in its current form, but hope for a bright future and a return to the good times. New leases have been signed, but with the master lease agreement falling through and the land owner handling the leases, the plaza remains in the scruffy state it has been for years. No bar area attracts rumours like Nana Plaza and this week new rumours started doing the rounds. There's probably nothing in it, but because of the source - the manager of one of the longest running beer bars on the soi, it's worth mentioning. Rumour has it that local property developer Land and House is either about to buy or has already bought the land that Nana Plaza sits on and has plans to develop the site which would see the plaza torn down. My feeling is that there is almost certainly no truth to it but this is Bangkok, and you just never know.

Gotta love scuttlebutt.

Archived