Bkk St/lt And Barfines Soon Up?

kamui

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was shot down when I predicted this a few years ago. How times comes to pass :)

The mathematics of profitability were in play and the appearance of a relative underclass of bar where cheap booze was the attraction started to take hold whilst at the other end, the price envelope was being well and truly pushed.

I shouted down hearsay that people would not pay Bt1000 barfines but the testing waters of extended rip offs over Xmas and New Year showed that was not true. People would pay and then go on forums and moan about it. But tomorrow they would be back to pay again.

With Stockholm syndrome, the hostage starts to feel sympathy for the actions of the captor. Translate this to the P4P scene and you now have apologists who argue the bar owners' (or more usually the go-go owners') cases for them, trying to explain away the need for high barfines and then trotting out the mantra so often given by the owners themselves, that they do not want the girls barfined at all and that the high barfines are simply a deterrent.

At low levels, barfines are not a deterrent but they become avid profit centres in themselves well before Bt1000.

Taxi Flag Fall is still 35 baht, I dunno, seems the bar business for most is not a good business model for most. Many of the bars I think as "Loss Leaders" there to bring people into the area be it Cowboy/Nana/Patpong while the better bars do well.

Tough business to be in, I wouldn't do it if you paid me :) certainly not the Thai business model. You'd have to make a break from that!

Some bitching on my other board re Japanese throwing money around in Patts go-gos - reportedly 5k for ST. In Pattaya - right ....

That sort of tale might concern me if I actually set foot in such places - way too cheap for that. As for paying a 1K barfine, it would need to be Soi 33 and I'd need to be so hammered that any sort of sexual congress was unlikely anyway, but enough about 2008. :banghead:

Some bitching on my other board re Japanese throwing money around in Patts go-gos - reportedly 5k for ST. In Pattaya - right ....

That sort of tale might concern me if I actually set foot in such places - way too cheap for that. As for paying a 1K barfine, it would need to be Soi 33 and I'd need to be so hammered that any sort of sexual congress was unlikely anyway, but enough about 2008. :banghead:

i know people here give Phuket a bad rap but i have visited from 05-2000 until 05-2012.

know the places to go and the layout of the place and B/F's are cheap.

i was paying 200bt in 2000 for a BF and 300bt in 2012 and that was when i BF was needed.

i could easily spend a month on Phuket and not have to pay a B/F.

and the ladies involved are not rough types,many grateful for a night in a room and a bit of cash.

at my normal hotel i had a reguler lady who took care of me whenever i wanted and she was overawed when i gave her 1000bt for a night,she said she had never received more then 500bt before.

As far as I know the barfine as such does not do anything else but opening a possibility ( Words chosen nicely to my opinion ) And what comes after might then cost you 1000 or 2000 or 4000 depending on circumstances , how important is it if you paid 500 or 1000 access fee ?

I guess we've had very different experiences.

As far as I know the barfine as such does not do anything else but opening a possibility ( Words chosen nicely to my opinion ) And what comes after might then cost you 1000 or 2000 or 4000 depending on circumstances , how important is it if you paid 500 or 1000 access fee ?

so, its like a poker game, its buy-in money ?

good point really :)

If its just the higher barfine I guess many people would moan, but in the end won't care.

But now add higher barfines, BGs asking more and increasing beer prices, paired with a strong THB (and a weak EUR or USD) and suddenly a visit to LOS becomes less pleasant for those with a limited budget.

Archived