Bkk St/lt And Barfines Soon Up?

kamui

Yeah, but the rubbing costs more than a 'fiver'. I'm referring to the hundred-baht tips that some folk seem to expect from Farang as a matter of course, even though we all know full well that most Thais wouldn't be that generous. You can almost see the girls at Tawan Daeng elbowing one another aside to the 'beer wench' at a table presided over by a Farang - amazing how quickly those smiles melt when it becomes apparent that you dont hand out tips each and every time someone DOES THEIR JOB by bringing beer to your table.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah well I did say a FEW fivers :) I get what you mean though about the tips, I just make them invisible to me.

Then again I think places like Tawan Daeng and their ilk are great when you want to go do the Thai girl and her mates party type thing, for which you really need to be in a sort of "who cares about a few fivers" type state of mind. Not really an ideal place to go with any sort of budget in mind, and in truth after going to similar places over the last 15 years maybe 20 or 30 times I really wouldn't care if I never went again.

Go get some more of that good rubbin I say.

Ah well I did say a FEW fivers :) I get what you mean though about the tips, I just make them invisible to me.

Then again I think places like Tawan Daeng and their ilk are great when you want to go do the Thai girl and her mates party type thing, for which you really need to be in a sort of "who cares about a few fivers" type state of mind. Not really an ideal place to go with any sort of budget in mind, and in truth after going to similar places over the last 15 years maybe 20 or 30 times I really wouldn't care if I never went again.

Go get some more of that good rubbin I say.

I have been to place like Tawan Daeng just two times during my visits to LOS, but I enjoyed both nights very much. Though next time I will keep an eye on how much the girls drink. The second time we went there, two of the girls started a fight and one ended up in a hedge outside the place and then vomited on the sidewalk. :o

I have been to place like Tawan Daeng just two times during my visits to LOS, but I enjoyed both nights very much. Though next time I will keep an eye on how much the girls drink. The second time we went there, two of the girls started a fight and one ended up in a hedge outside the place and then vomited on the sidewalk. :o

That sounds like excellent entertainment value. Classy girls as well it seems.

Sadly, I seem to be the only one who leaves Tawan Daeng with anything even vaguely resembling 'the wobbly boot' on. Its different when the spirits are in play, but those open bottles of 'Black' cost me even more - I am quite happy with my total tab at a beer hall. Just not happy with the expectation that Farang will tip each and every person who comes anywhere near their table. AFAIK, every attempt to introduce a 'tipping culture' in Oz has met with dismal failure, but we have award wages that Thai staff could only dream of. We also have rents and grocery prices that Thai staff could only dream of - 'dream' as in 'nightmare'.

Archived