Friday, The Day After, The Day After Tomorrow...

Coss

The original name does have connections to Vietnam.

If memory serves me right it is down to an Operational Detachment of US Army who where looking for MIA in Nam, Joint Task Force - Full Accounting, the original bar in Soi Zero was the unofficial HQ of the Fifth Detachment of JFT-NA hence the reason it was christened DET 5.

I'll have to ask about that. I know the colonel who was in charge, though he worked through the embassy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Det 5 is a pleasant venue, very suited to accommodate a laid back chatfest"

I agree. Never been there before, but it was quite pleasant. Reasonable selection of food as well, at good prices. Interesting to see that just before the free food started the place all of a sudden started to get packed :)

Sanuk!

I am surprised as it is usually the 3rd friday of the month for the free food......

If you would have bothered to speak to all those "balloon chasers", you would have found out that it is the special monthly gathering of the Dutch and Belgian embassy personal, as well as the Flemish expat association, and because of that, the owner makes a free buffet :)

BB

My very good friend tells me that there is free food there Every Friday night (and Tuesdays at the Soi 8 Pub)

But what would he know....he's an Aussie....and he's only lived in Soi 8 for the past 7 years

I've never seen a place fill so quickly in the 10 or 15 mins before it was freebie...... "Snout in the trough".... time

Maybe cav & dddave got crushed in the stampede.....lol

As I left, I looked at the sign out front. "Free buffet every Friday"

The embassy folks might explain the crowd that was there. Plenty of them looked older than me. That is an unusual experience. It looked like stag night at the senior center. :p

But the meal was spaghetti, sauce and tons of fried chicken. Not exactly Flemish cuisine.

I checked with my local friends and had wrong info......

Yes, every friday there is free food, and yes, apparantly the Belgian-Dutch embassy as well as the Dutch and Flemish club meet there every 3rd friday of the month.

I wronly understood that only then there was free food...... :whatever:

So, now we know :cheerleader:

BB

My very good friend tells me that there is free food there Every Friday night (and Tuesdays at the Soi 8 Pub)

But what would he know....he's an Aussie....and he's only lived in Soi 8 for the past 7 years

I've never seen a place fill so quickly in the 10 or 15 mins before it was freebie...... "Snout in the trough".... time

Maybe cav & dddave got crushed in the stampede.....lol

Heeeeeeeey, I resemble that remark...but living outside of BKK now makes getting to town on Fridays a bit tough... :dunno:

Archived