Kiwi Killed By Swede In Pattaya Bar

Flashermac

Look, HT, I know the Chinese and Vietnamese eat dog, as do the Koreans, but its not generally accepted by Thais who dont have to wonder where there next meal is coming from. You and I have both stepped over enough dogshit on the Soi to know that there are plenty of dogs wandering unmolested around BKK - similar scenes in Pattaya. Given the massive number of Isaan people in those centres, said dogs would quickly find their way onto a table somewhere if Isaan people all shared said appetites. FFS, some don't even eat bugs - they have a few more choices in Bangkok. Working from your stereotyping, I should spend my nights searching high and low for meat pies and cans of Fosters when the plane finally deposits me in 2014 .....

In addition to the Vietnamese Flasher referred to, don't the border areas contain minority groups from other countries ? I doubt that they share the delicate sensibilities of your 'hi-so' Emporium Princesses. :biggrin:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's bullshit and you know it, HT - I suspect that you spent too long in China. Short of a survival situation, I am unaware of any Thai people who routinely include dog as part of their diet - if it happens in 'Nakhon Nowhere', I can happily cross that province off my list .....

Dogs are being eaten LOS, but it seems that most Thai are against it - that's what Wikipedia says:

Thailand

Unlike other countries where dog meat consumption has been shown to have historical precedents, Thailand does not have a mainstream culture of dog eating. However, in recent years, the consumption of dog meat in certain areas of the country, especially in certain northeastern provinces like Sakon Nakhon and Nakhon Phanom (specifically Sakon Nakhon province's Tha Rae sub-district, which has been identified as the main center for the country's illegal, albeit lucrative, dog meat trade), have attracted widespread attention from the Thai population and local news media. This has led a large group of Thai citizens to become increasingly vocal against the consumption of dog meat and the selling of dogs to neighbouring Mekong countries including Laos, Vietnam and China. According to news reports, a considerable number of these dogs continue to be stolen from people's homes by illegal carriers. This was especially the case following the 2011 Thailand Floods. Dubbed as the country's 'Trade of Shame', Thai netizens, in particular, have now formed several (informal) animal welfare and rescue groups in an attempt to stop this illegal trade, with the collective attitude being that 'Dogs are not food'. Established not-for-profit animal charity organizations like the Soi Dog Foundation have also been active in raising awareness and working in conjunction with local Thai authorities to rehabilitate and relocate dogs rescued from trucks attempting to transport live dogs across the border to nearby countries. Significantly, this issue has strengthened the nation's animal rights movement, which continues to call on the Thai government to adopt a stricter and more comprehensive animal rights law to prevent the maltreatment of pets and cruelty against all animals

http://en.wikipedia....g_meat#Thailand

led a large group of Thai citizens to become increasingly vocal against the consumption of dog meat and the selling of dogs to neighbouring Mekong countries including Laos, Vietnam and China. According to news reports, a considerable number of these dogs continue to be stolen from people's homes by illegal carriers. This was especially the case following the 2011 Thailand Floods. Dubbed as the country's 'Trade of Shame', Thai netizens, in particular, have now formed several (informal) animal welfare and rescue groups in an attempt to stop this illegal trade, with the collective attitude being that 'Dogs are not food'.

Thanks so much for that, Kamui - it mirrors my understanding of the situation, 'Nakhon Nowhere' and people living in grinding poverty notwithstanding. One of the girls told me that the main reason there are so many Soi dogs in BKK is that people buy them as pups, then lose interest as they grow older - 'no take care' is the all-too-familiar phrase. Its interesting that the Thais are almost alone in SE Asia (Singapore ? Taiwan ?) in their concern for the welfare of animals, and that may be a Buddhist thing (anyone ?).

Saw a doco on a lady in Tokyo who was fighting an uphill battle against the Japanese apathy toward animal cruelty, and we all know the old line about the Chinese - 'if it walks, crawls, swims or flies, the Chinese will eat it'. Easy to be glib about that with a belly full of Subway, but in countries where cats and dogs are routinely caged and butchered in the street for populations who could just as easily afford chicken, I see it as akin to selling whale meat. Would I eat these animals in a survival situation ? Of course I would - including whale - but my 'non-survivalist' hypocrisy ends with animals which have no thought processes beyond 'mmmm, tasty grass !' and 'whoa ! who farted ?'. Dogs and cats have personalities - traditional livestock don't - simple as that. There is a distinct tone of 'apex predator' to the idea of eating a carnivore, and (other than fish and octopus) its a line I don't plan to cross.

(The same mentality has almost wiped animals like the Rhinoceros from the face of the earth, and would have done the same to the elephant if we hadn't woken up to ourselves - its the colossal arrogance that says 'We are number one on this planet and we can kill anything we damned well want'. Bring on the pandemic.)

As well exercised as this topic seems to be.. I'd eat dog if it was humanely killed and already on the table in front of me, but...

One of the reasons I'm not fond of the Vietnamese as a culture is their practice and belief, that beating a dog viciously prior to butchering improves the flavor.

One of the reasons I'm not fond of the Vietnamese as a culture is their practice and belief, that beating a dog viciously prior to butchering improves the flavor.

some Chinese and Koreans also do this, but no idea what percentage is killed this way as there are conflicting reports. Hopefully nowadays a pretty low percentage

I knew that Viets in the countryside ate dogs, but when I mentioned it to urban Viets they shook their head in disgust. Even they considered it barbaric.

I saw many dog meat restaurants in the city of Ha Noi when I was there earlier this year. I saw trucks with caged dogs on the back, all over. I'd say - common - not wide spread - but common.

I know when it comes to beef, lamb and pork - if the animal is startled before they are slaughtered it causes adrenaline to pump through their veins (not hard to imagine) and this caused the red meat to become a lot darker, and a "strange" flavour not preferable to consumers. For this reason a good abattoir will leave the beast for the next day when it has calmed down. Otherwise it is only really useful for smallgoods, hamburgers etc. Product which is minced first. Maybe hams and bacon too.

Who knows what the Viets like but maybe they like that flavour. It also causes the meat to become tougher, though if the Viets are cooking their dog meat in a soup it wouldn't really matter. Meat which is flash fried, or grilled (like steaks etc) would be very tough to eat.

Archived