Vaccination Against Troppo Diseases

gobbledonk

First couple of trips to Asia, I had all the injections and spent money on health insurance and I didn't even see a mossie - stark contrast to QLD where I was bitten repeatedly. While I dont drink the water, Cambo remains the only place where I have spent money on bottled water simply to clean my teeth, and the only place where I spent 48 hours projectile vomiting into a toilet. Hmmmm ..... :banghead:

Given that I will be wandering around Isaan/Laos etc, I'm going to get a few jabs in BKK (doctors, not ladyboys). Feedback from the old hands welcome - I know I cant get innoculated against malaria, but some of the mossie-borne diseases here are really nasty and its the last thing I need.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given that I will be wandering around Isaan/Laos etc, I'm going to get a few jabs in BKK (doctors, not ladyboys).

Probably best to get your jabs in Oz and for Hep A you need to have it done 4 to 6 weeks before travel anyway.

The UK NHS advises having Tetanus and Hep A immunisation for Thailand and also to consider getting typhoid, diptheria, rabies, Japanese encephalitis, Hep B and cholera.

For Laos it advises having Tetanus, Hep A, typhoid and diptheria immunisation and also to consider getting rabies, Japanese encephalitis, Hep B and cholera.

NHS Fit For Travel

I had some jabs (can't remember what they were) when I went to the ME in 1988 and nothing again until 2005, when I thought I might be returning to Thailand to live. Think I had Hep A, Tetanus and something else.

Probably best to get your jabs in Oz and for Hep A you need to have it done 4 to 6 weeks before travel anyway.

The UK NHS advises having Tetanus and Hep A immunisation for Thailand and also to consider getting typhoid, diptheria, rabies, Japanese encephalitis, Hep B and cholera.

For Laos it advises having Tetanus, Hep A, typhoid and diptheria immunisation and also to consider getting rabies, Japanese encephalitis, Hep B and cholera.

NHS Fit For Travel

I had some jabs (can't remember what they were) when I went to the ME in 1988 and nothing again until 2005, when I thought I might be returning to Thailand to live. Think I had Hep A, Tetanus and something else.

I think Hep B is important for sex tourists. For Hep B you need to see your doc 6 months before the trip latest:

The vaccination schedule most often used for adults and children has been three intramuscular injections, the second and third administered 1 and 6 months after the first.

Gooble here you can check for yourself. hubbahubba.gifcover.gif

As an adult, do I need this vaccine?

You should get the hepatitis B vaccine if:

• You have sex with or live in the same house as a person with hepatitis B virus infection.
  • You have sex with more than one partner.
  • You seek care in a clinic for sexually transmitted diseases, HIV testing or treatment, or drug treatment.
  • You are a man who has sex with other men.
  • You inject drugs.
  • You have a job that involves contact with human blood*.
  • You are on the staff of, or a client in, an institution for the developmentally disabled*.
  • You are a hemodialysis patient or have end-stage renal disease.
  • You have HIV infection.
  • You are a dialysis patient.
  • You have chronic liver disease.
  • You have diabetes and are under age 60.
  • You live or travel for more than 6 months a year in countries where hepatitis B is common.
  • You seek care in a clinic for sexually transmitted diseases, HIV testing, or drug treatment.
  • You are a prisoner in a correctional facility.
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

PS: If you think about Malaria prophylaxis, contact a doc after your arrival. Local docs know best which Malaria strain/variation is prevalent in the area and which meds are working:

http://www.malaria.com/overview/malaria-prevention

Gobble,

Do it at home before you leave mate, it's all covered by Medicare AFAIK. First they test your blood to see if you need vaccines - then get vaccinated for what you need (ie tetanus, hep a/b etc).

I get tested every year or so for the lot, due to the nature of my job, and vaccinate as required. Tetanus last about 10 years from memory, and after 2 or 3 times should last for life, (had a few of these jabs in my butchering days, pretty sure I'm good for life now), hep a/b (twinrix was the drug from memory) lasts a significant time as well.

Be aware there's no vaccine for Hep C, and the "cure" is long and painful, and nowhere near 100% sure.

All these figures are based on my declining memory, but if you have a local doctor you trust in Aus, I'm sure they will be able to alleviate any concerns.

Thanks guys - none of the maladies listed above sounds like fun, but there is one in particular which makes my blood run cold. Flasher can be glib about this stuff, but I expect that his skin is like shoe leather and completely impervious to mossie bites. :neener:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encephalitis

Mosquito-borne diseases:

The viral diseases yellow fever and dengue fever are transmitted mostly by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. Other viral diseases like epidemic polyarthritis, Rift Valley fever, Ross River Fever, St. Louis encephalitis, West Nile virus (WNV), Japanese encephalitis, La Crosse encephalitis and several other encephalitis type diseases are carried by several different mosquitoes. Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) and Western equine encephalitis (WEE) occurs in the United States where it causes disease in humans, horses, and some bird species. Because of the high mortality rate, EEE and WEE are regarded as two of the most serious mosquito-borne diseases in the United States. Symptoms range from mild flu-like illness to encephalitis, coma and death

If I get HIV or another STD, that is my own fault, but the idea of being floored - literally - by a mossie just doesnt do it for me.

No vaccination against dengue fever. I've had it twice, once up north and once in Bangkok. The Army zapped us for everything before we went to RVN. Didn't stop guys from getting malaria, but usually their own fault (refused to take the tablets).

Best advice in Issan is DON'T EAT RAW FOOD! That includes the raw land crabs mashed up in yam mahk hung (sonmtam) and pah la (pla rah), which is made from fermented raw fish. :p:

Archived