Vaccination Against Troppo Diseases

gobbledonk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only downside of Laos is that every mossie within 10 km of me finds me and bites me. My Dr mate tells me that in Vientiane anyway, the major worry is Dengue, the rest are pretty much a rarity these days.

i find a good deterrent in lemon/lime.

just get a slice and dab your wrists/your neck underneath the ears and ankles and i find i never get bothered anymore.

advice from an old Thai woman one time and i swear by it.

also if you do get bitten then rub the area with lemon/lime and i find within minutes the feeling of the bite has disappeared.

the acidity seems to be the answer.

got all the recommended vaccinations for my 1st trip to Thailand and was so ill before i went and on the journey.

never bothered since any and no major problems.

We got yellow fever vaccinations from the Army. It made some of the guys so sick they were flat on their back for a week. Since then the vaccine is no longer used. The MDs decided it was too dangerous, since the vaccination was almost as bad as having the live virus. :(

That has been the concern with vaccination for decades - there are nutjobs here in Oz who are actively campaigning to stop people having their kids vaccinated against Polio and other nasties. Its weird how some of the girls have large round 'targets' on their arms from childhood vaccinations - never noticed that on a male anywhere.

Got a whole bunch of shots in boot camp. More shots before RVN. More shots in RVN. Then the malaria tablets. Then the idodine tablets.

Nothing mentioned at time about any dioxins.

And for those who passed through this US treasure - "The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) is currently studying the effects of toxic exposure upon former residents of Camp Lejeune."

LINK

Archived