A Little Iphone Help Please

radioman

Having tried once, failed miserably and given up I weakened in a mad moment and now the wife has a 3GS (5k baht, barely used and updated to 5.0.1). Great thinks me, easy for her to use, quite intuitive and for somebody with a phobia about touch screen phones I still rate the iPhone as about the best introduction to such a modus operandi. Now here's the thing. She want to play Facebook with her friends, fine, no problem and easy to install, gets on the phone to AIS, yes, 6 hours 50 baht no problem. Phone is mostly in the house where it runs on the Wi-Fi and should only go to network data when outside. So over one night and then taking the kids to school the next day, then picking them up again in the afternoon the phone has been out of the house about 2 hours in the last 24. Then comes the call from AIS that she has used her 6 hours data and another 4 on top of that! WTF! How? The phone has not been out of the house more than about 2 hours and the Wi-Fi is rock solid all over the house.

So I started to look for apps, not very successfully that would show me data usage, which apps, what messages, who to and who from etc. A sort of mobile data version of wireshark. So far a bit of a dead end.

So I know there are some iPhone gurus in these parts and I'd really like some help as to how we can fix this. I know there is the option to turn mobile data off and to send messages to AIS and force the network to prevent data but that's an awful kludge for a smart phone that should be sort of, er half smart. We can happily remove applications and other facilities other than her much wanted facebook. Just want to make sure it does on demand data only.

Cheers

Having tried once, failed miserably and given up I weakened in a mad moment and now the wife has a 3GS (5k baht, barely used and updated to 5.0.1). Great thinks me, easy for her to use, quite intuitive and for somebody with a phobia about touch screen phones I still rate the iPhone as about the best introduction to such a modus operandi. Now here's the thing. She want to play Facebook with her friends, fine, no problem and easy to install, gets on the phone to AIS, yes, 6 hours 50 baht no problem. Phone is mostly in the house where it runs on the Wi-Fi and should only go to network data when outside. So over one night and then taking the kids to school the next day, then picking them up again in the afternoon the phone has been out of the house about 2 hours in the last 24. Then comes the call from AIS that she has used her 6 hours data and another 4 on top of that! WTF! How? The phone has not been out of the house more than about 2 hours and the Wi-Fi is rock solid all over the house.

So I started to look for apps, not very successfully that would show me data usage, which apps, what messages, who to and who from etc. A sort of mobile data version of wireshark. So far a bit of a dead end.

So I know there are some iPhone gurus in these parts and I'd really like some help as to how we can fix this. I know there is the option to turn mobile data off and to send messages to AIS and force the network to prevent data but that's an awful kludge for a smart phone that should be sort of, er half smart. We can happily remove applications and other facilities other than her much wanted facebook. Just want to make sure it does on demand data only.

Cheers

There is an app for to check data use. I just found it and will install it as well (it's even in Thai):

http://itunes.apple....8&affId=2157527

Also, check the individual apps for push services, like the mail app. It might go online every 5 minutes or so.

@Kamui, thanks, I think this app is pretty much what is built in. It seems to show total data usage but not per application, or not that I saw at least. I've never used such a thing myself so I went looking. This one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radioopt.widget&hl=en provides the sort of functionality I'm looking for, it gives

Data traffic counter

- Data traffic counter for wireless and mobile access, separated by up-and download

- The quality measure gives you feedback about the availability of data services.

- Traffic summary fur current day, week and month

- Configurable start day of monthly and weekly measurement period

- Tethering traffic, when device is used as mobile hotspot

- Traffic statistics per application with history for current and last day as well as current and last month

@baa99, Good point, I guess. Well Wi-Fi is turned on, of that I am sure. The small icon in the top bar of the screen does not go away so I presume that when this is the case all data goes over the Wi-Fi except phone calls, and sms. The icon goes away as soon as you move away from the house where the Wi-Fi drops out. How else would I be able to confirm this?

Yep the wifi looks as though it's on, but location services should be turned off and as mentioned above, turn off all "fetch" or "push" features for mail etc and check the facebook like apps for automatic notifications etc.

These nice to have features, are all good but will eat data even in an hour if enough of them are turned on.

Were you to Jailbreak the phone, you could install SBSettings which would give you toggles to turn the data etc off conveniently.

iClarified.com

Hmm, I think this idea of jailbreaking is going to be very necessary. Already the annoyances I recall from my last dalliance with an Apple phone are rearing their little heads one by one. Now it's selective call blocking aka blacklisting. Why is it that her 1000 baht throw away Nokia can do this but the iPhone cannot? Then of course I caught a rash of shit for connecting the damn thing to a computer and had it wipe out all her contacts, without any apparent warning, fark! Annoyed! Then after I copied the several gigs of pictures over she finds there's no way to selectively delete them. Not a good day today it seems.

Hi,

And let me guess, it is all *your* fault for not knowing this shit will happen in the first place? :)

Whenever my the Tab doesn't do exactly what my wife THINKS it should do and I can't fix it within 5 seconds, it is obviously my fault rather than just the inability of the app/tab to do what she wants. Women, can't live with 'em, not allowed to shoot 'em :)

Oh, and check for chat apps!!!

I installed Whatsapp on my previous phone and that cost me 700 Baht (down from 1,500 Baht) within 3 days :(

Sanuk!

Er, it's not been mentioned explicitly but I have this nagging suspicion the floods of last year were pretty much down to me, at least as far as she is concerned anyway. Whats app has already been mentioned, well I guess it should be alright whilst she restricts herself to Wi-Fi access and if we can get her on an unlimited package like I have then it will not be so bad anyway.

The phone says it is iOS 5.1.1, how do I delete single photos? Need to know? :)

Surely there's a way to turn the mobile data on/off? That's what I do with the galaxy s3 - at home turn on the wifi and it recognises my connection in a second or two. All data goes through that. When out and about I turn the mobile data on/off only when I want to access the internet.

Archived