A Little Iphone Help Please

radioman

Surely there's a way to turn the mobile data on/off? That's what I do with the galaxy s3 - at home turn on the wifi and it recognises my connection in a second or two. All data goes through that. When out and about I turn the mobile data on/off only when I want to access the internet.

Yes, there is a way to turn off data but there still remains a twofold problem. When switched off but outside of the Wi-Fi coverage area there is then no data at all without having to go in and switch it on again manually. Something I think a smart phone should be smart enough to do itself and then secondly when the data is turned on there is, as yet, no obvious way to determine which apps are using data and how much so you still have a potential runaway issue.

For the S3 you are lucky that you can download free apps like the one I mentioned before,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radioopt.widget&hl=en

that will show you which apps are moving data and if it's Wi-Fi or cellular network traffic.

Surely there's some kind of "Task Manager" type thing on the iphone - if fact I'm sure there is, the lads at work were talking about it one day. That should show you which apps are chewing through your data allowance.

Alternatively, you could take the phone to an apple shop or phone store and ask there.

Okay so another question. This one's iPod, not truly iPhone but I guess it's still iOS. In any case it's another non-intuitive process that I need to accomplish. So here's the deal. We are out this evening and daughter takes pictures and video using her iPod touch. No problem and they look fine. Get home and she wants them transferred onto the NAS for distribution. Here's where my prior assumptions come unraveled. I would expect to plug the device in, find it as a device in a browser and then drag and drop what I want where I want it, simple enough, er no. Cannot see the device other than in its beloved iTunes and even then there seems no obvious way to get the content from the device onto the desktop or network.

I'm sure I must be really dumb here but this seems to be such a trivial task and yet I just can't see it. I can access any OS so no problem to connect the device to anything yet it seems unwilling to give up it's content. What I am I missing here?

Why don't you Google? It took me 10 sec. to find the answer.

My link

Now that's what I call really annoying. I know I'm certainly not the most adept when it comes to searching for stuff on the web but I didn't see anything like that. Answers to my Google "import videos from ipod to desktop" produced a bunch of spurious replies, you tube videos and pages offering advice on how to do the reverse.

Was the apple support page you offered, which was just what I wanted by the way, the first in the list of answers or buried about 10 pages down? What did you search for?

Archived