Does Anyone Purchase Travel Insurance?

unit731

Obviously it depends on what country is your home base and what coverage your home country provides for overseas travel.

Does anyone purchase separate Travel Insurance for each trip to LOS?

Such as this one?

LINK

You need a _really_ good health insurance. The rest is mostly unnecessary. For example in Germany claims for stolen stuff usually don't work that well.

You need a _really_ good health insurance. The rest is mostly unnecessary. For example in Germany claims for stolen stuff usually don't work that well.

i only make sure i have the facility of being transfered back to the UK.

the little things like delays or lost luggage are not really worth it as you normally have to pay more for the premium then it's worth.

thankfully i have friends who will pay for any small expenses if needed knowing i am good for the cash.

Medical and evacuation are the main things I look for - other than my camera, everything else I take to LOS would be cheaper to replace in LOS than pay the excess. The cover I usually get covers top notch medical/evac back to Aus, and $8,000 or $10,000 for the camera gear.

Works out at around $100 for the 3 week trip from memory. Excess (deductible in the US?) is around $500

I make it a point to get Travel Insurance every Trip now. Kind of thing that when you don't get it is when you'd need it :-)

I go thru this site where you get multiple quotes and plans to choose from: InsureMyTrip.com

Like the others mentioned, main thing is the Medical Evac but I get Medical thrown in too with a few minor goodies for just a few dollars more.

Was a post on another board few years ago, poor English guy got hit by a Drunk driver in Phuket while there on Vacation and ended up paralyzed. To get back home to England via Medical Evac was in the hundreds of thousands in costs and he had no Travel Insurance.

Oh, I also always keep a copy of that proof of Insurance in my wallet: was another story few years back about an American guy who was actually a young, retired Millionaire living in Pattaya got hit by a Drunk driver while walking along the roadside. Some good Samaritans took him to a nearby Hospital but he was unconscious and had no ID so the hospital refused to treat him saying they had no way of knowing he'd be able to pay. They raced him to another Hospital but he didn't make it.

I have never taken out travel insurance since I left the UK 24 years ago! When I worked in Dubai I think my company health insurance covered me for medical when I was travelling but since then (Thailand in June and next month) I have had none. But then being a super fit healthy chap :liar: I probably don't need any.

I have never taken out travel insurance since I left the UK 24 years ago! When I worked in Dubai I think my company health insurance covered me for medical when I was travelling but since then (Thailand in June and next month) I have had none. But then being a super fit healthy chap :liar: I probably don't need any.

Of you course you don't need any insurance. The guy who hits you with his car will happily pay 50.000 USD for a medical evac flight plus all other hospital costs. spin.gif

Obviously it depends on what country is your home base and what coverage your home country provides for overseas travel.

Does anyone purchase separate Travel Insurance for each trip to LOS?

Such as this one?

LINK

Opps. I meant to say separate medical or travel medical insurance. For each trip.

I've, in the past, always had insurances, and never had to claim. If I add up the money over the years I've paid to various companies, I could buy a small building as an investment.

If I get hit by a car or some such, there's a credit card in my wallet, and the last thing I want is to be flown halfway around the world, I just want morphine...

Archived