Want To Open A Thai Bank Account. How?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a longterm stay visa - working/spouse/business/retirement ? Bit rich to just rock up to a forum without giving us any background. Thailand has dozens of banks, but some report more success with Kasikorn over a competitor, while others report the exact opposite. Attitude is everything, and I've seen claims from some claiming they were given an account without a long-stay visa - I take any such claim with a grain of salt. Be prepared to dress as though you are attending a job interview and assume an appropriately deferential attitude.

My link

Kasikorn list their minimum opening balance as 500 baht, and their website is clearly tailored for English speakers - I never make that assumption of any Thai company.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/BankAccounts/Saving/Pages/SavingDeposits.aspx

I opened an account with TMB about 10 years ago with only a tourist visa. Passport alone was required. Got a bank book and an ATM card. However the account was non interest bearing. When I got a long term visa (non-immigrant O), I went back to the bank and they changed my account to an interest bearing one (actually I had to close the first account and open a new one). The only costs are around 150 baht a year for the ATM card.

- I assume that you dont pay fees on ATM transactions at your own (Thai) banks ATMs, of course.

5555555555555 spell the word slowly

B

A

N

K

loosely translated = money grabbing cnuts

K Bank

No fee if at you use your own Branch

Different City.....different Bank....fees vary from 15 - 30 Baht per ATM withdrawel

Kasikorn charges 300 Baht for a new ATM card, good for one year and then they charge for the renewal (200 Baht?)

I remember paying something when I opened my last a/c (after I was pickpocketed & lost my card)...but have not been charged an annual fee to my knowledge

Got current card maybe 2 years ago and just looked....Expires 11/14

Cheers DS

The requirements to open a Thai Bank account have more to do with where about the staff member is in her menstrual cycle and which side of bed she got out of to be honest, forget rules it is so ad-hoc.

UBC, MEA and TOT all gave me credit when on a tourist visa, AIS "Post Paid" account I took my work permit and was told NO NEED

Kasikorn Electron Card is valid for 4 years!

Do you have a longterm stay visa - working/spouse/business/retirement ? Bit rich to just rock up to a forum without giving us any background. Thailand has dozens of banks, but some report more success with Kasikorn over a competitor, while others report the exact opposite. Attitude is everything, and I've seen claims from some claiming they were given an account without a long-stay visa - I take any such claim with a grain of salt. Be prepared to dress as though you are attending a job interview and assume an appropriately deferential attitude.

My link

Kasikorn list their minimum opening balance as 500 baht, and their website is clearly tailored for English speakers - I never make that assumption of any Thai company.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/BankAccounts/Saving/Pages/SavingDeposits.aspx

Thanks for the reply.. sorry about being abrupt with my question, it was posted late at night and half asleep.

I am planning on retiring next year and wanted to know how do I open an account to put in the lump sum to show the government? I guess I open one with 1000baht or whatever next time I visit.. When I apply for the visa does it have the large amount have to be in the back already of after?

Also with that lump sum, can I withdraw from it while I live there or does it have to remain an untouched amount and I add to it for living costs?

Thanks for your help guys.

Thanks for the reply.. sorry about being abrupt with my question, it was posted late at night and half asleep.

Also with that lump sum, can I withdraw from it while I live there or does it have to remain an untouched amount and I add to it for living costs?

Thanks for your help guys.

The Lump Sum of 800K has to be deposited for 90 days before you apply for "Extension to Stay" of 12 months, once extension is Granted you can draw on your deposit, just make sure back up to 800K 90 days before the annual renewal.

Archived