How The Kiwis Honor Their Their Fallen Comrades

StoneSoup

No flack, it's a cultural thing, the Haka, though having it's origins in the Maori stone-age culture of some 300 years ago, has become part of the modern NZ identity.

This is something that most Kiwis identify with closely.

It may well be a curiosity to other people in the world, but it is our way of expressing honor and respect when used in this way.

from below the fold on the you-tubery link:

"Haka is used throughout New Zealand by many, not only MÄori, to demonstrate their collective thoughts. There is a haka for each of the Services, as well as the Defence Force. Units with the NZ Army have their own haka. This video shows the soldiers of 2/1 RNZIR Battalion performing their Unit haka, powerfully acknowledging the lives and feats of their fallen comrades as they come onto the Unit's parade ground. It is also an emotive farewell for they will leave via the waharoa (the carved entrance way) for the very last time.

Haka --sometimes termed a posture dance could also be described as a chant with actions. There are various forms of haka; some with weapons some without, some have set actions others may be 'free style.' Haka is used by MÄori (indigenous people of New Zealand) for a myriad of reasons; to challenge or express defiance or contempt, to demonstrate approval or appreciation, to encourage or to discourage, to acknowledge feats and achievements, to welcome, to farewell, as an expression of pride, happiness or sorrow. There is almost no inappropriate occasion for haka; it is an outward display of inner thoughts and emotions. Within the context of an occasion it is abundantly clear which emotion is being expressed."

One of my first and only "Dates" with MLG in public, un chaperoned, was at a sports bar, I had insisted that she see the All Blacks play France, so she could get an idea of what Kiwis are. She was impressed by the Haka. It's a shame the game wasn't better.

Hi,

I would be that person :)

Sanuk!

I saw "Once were Warriors" - does that count? (Good film btw).

Been to several funerals, and one military one. Mostly a lot of people standing around detached looking somber. I always liked the idea of an Irish wake in comparison to the traditional antiseptic and embalmed western funeral.

Anyway, that's one of the coolest fucking things I've seen. A chance to let out a little raw emotion at death. Also interesting how the native Maori culture has bled into kiwi pop culture.

Sorry to disagree KS. :)

I could be wrong, but having your country associated in people's minds with that film would be the equivalent of Oz being permanently associated with 'Chopper' - 99% of the Maoris I have met here in Oz have been straight-up people : you dont fuck with them and they wont fuck with you. I only wish I could say the same of the white trash in my country.

Edit - dont get me wrong - loved the film and the sequel, but it was a bleak view of a segment of NZ society which could just as easily be coal miners or steel workers somewhere else. Same hard lives and same domestic nasties. Jake was just nastier than most, but too many kids could relate to that film from their own upbringing.

Archived