How The Kiwis Honor Their Their Fallen Comrades

StoneSoup

Of course I only know Hakas from Youtube and NZ movies (like the fantastic "Whale Rider"), but I like the raw energy it shows.

At the end of the haka you can really see that the soldiers had to come down and compose themselves.

I guess there aren't many rituals around the world which are so powerful and which can be done by ordinary people - contrary for example to drumming and/or dances which often need years of training - like Japanese Kodo drummers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zSa6Zz2Zrs

One of my first and only "Dates" with MLG in public, un chaperoned, was at a sports bar, I had insisted that she see the All Blacks play France, so she could get an idea of what Kiwis are. She was impressed by the Haka. It's a shame the game wasn't better.

i'm not a rugby fan and don't really have much interest but i like the Haka.

a bit of tradition over the Years which even the opposition fans like to see.

The Japanese are flatout weird - I got roped into a dragonboat crew back in the 90s and these guys were phenomenal paddlers but as soon as we stopped they would all start smoking. Pissed me off - out there in the open air getting all this exercise and then trying to kill themselves - a unique race of people.

as soon as we stopped they would all start smoking. Pissed me off - out there in the open air getting all this exercise and then trying to kill themselves - a unique race of people.

cultures are all different.

saw a TV show about a famous Chinese chef visiting his hometown for the 1st time in 23 Years and taking part in a traditional ceremony where the dead were honoured at their graveside.

the normal offerings and prayers took place and then the firecrackers were let off and then a roasted pig with all the trimmings was produced and the current matriach of the family just said 'let's eat and get drunk'.

the family enjoyed their food and drink while sitting around the grave and i thought that was my idea of honourining your dead.

their version of a wake i suppose,but very civilised to me.

cultures are all different.

saw a TV show about a famous Chinese chef visiting his hometown for the 1st time in 23 Years and taking part in a traditional ceremony where the dead were honoured at their graveside.

the normal offerings and prayers took place and then the firecrackers were let off and then a roasted pig with all the trimmings was produced and the current matriach of the family just said 'let's eat and get drunk'.

the family enjoyed their food and drink while sitting around the grave and i thought that was my idea of honourining your dead.

their version of a wake i suppose,but very civilised to me.

I was doing a Elephant ride once when it went past a Chinese Hill Side grave site as they let off the firecrackers, (which was yesterday I believe?)

Had no idea elephants could run that fast!

Archived