Having A Thai Gf

belfastish

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i remember the influx of Filipina nurses who were employed at my hospital.

the normal accusations of taking jobs from the Brits and so forth but there were a lot of other factors at the time.

most were married with kids and kept themselves to their own community until they felt accepted by locals.

a few were single and started going out with Brits(myself included)and i was looked down upon by many 'friends' for going out with a 'gook'.

many of them had a hard time and i was shunned for a while if i took my GF to a social do.

in the end i was more comfortable in their company then my so-called 'friends'.

The Fili wives in this tiny burg have adapted much more easily to life here than any of the other Asians I know of in town. The Filipinas carried two things with them that made it easier - English and Catholicism. For all the hypocrisy inherent in the latter, it does build communities and they are certainly devout little Catholics. The Chinese, by contrast, don't seem to assimilate until the second generation reaches early adulthood, having survived our school system - even then, the parents seem to marry their kids off to other Chinese. I still believe Australia will have a predominately Asian face by 2100 - far better that than an Arab face, IMO.

Gobble, dumb, (not so) drunk and racist

NZ has a good population of Philippine nurses, and not surprisingly they are a hit with the male patients.

A mate of mine was in for his seemingly 50th heart attack, and when they asked him if he was OK for a bed bath, he looked at the three nurses and asked if he could choose.

If they'd been Kiwi nurses they'd have launched court proceedings for harassment, as it was, the three Philippine nurses giggled and smiled.

When we flew to Auckland in '91, we got on the turps with the local RNZAF guys and girls - there were quite a few civvie Kiwi gals there and they were friendly enough - certainly didnt seem like a PC lot. I guess a lot can change in 21 years <_<

Serious Steinlager hangover the next morning, but no brawling or even push-and-shove : good people.

(somewhat frostier reception from the NZ Army further south, but that was their recruit training battalion so I guess the MPs were going to view a bunch of Aussie pissheads in their boozer warily).

Living in Brisbane with my Thai wife of 7 years i often see the way people look ,mostly older women !

My wife is 20 years younger than me ,family and friends all love her , but you still get the remarks "mail order bride ect " not to your face mostly !

Australia is very multi-cultural but Brisbane is abit behind say Sydney and Melbourne !

I work in construction and i know many blokes working over the west and most of the single ones go to Thailand for there time off !

The ones poking fun at you are normaly the jealous ones !

with all respect, if it would have been Kiwi nurses, I am sure he would not have asked :closemouth:

you could think that, but I can assure you, that even if the nurses had been male, my mate would have asked the same question, just to stir the pot, if that is not an inappropriate term...

When we flew to Auckland in '91, we got on the turps with the local RNZAF guys and girls - there were quite a few civvie Kiwi gals there and they were friendly enough - certainly didnt seem like a PC lot. I guess a lot can change in 21 years <_<

Serious Steinlager hangover the next morning, but no brawling or even push-and-shove : good people.

(somewhat frostier reception from the NZ Army further south, but that was their recruit training battalion so I guess the MPs were going to view a bunch of Aussie pissheads in their boozer warily).

I think that even today, the people in the forces are certainly not PC, the ones who aren't in the forces are the ones who are anti-war - aggression - men - chemical additives... I won't go on....

Given the huge numbers of non white Australians I've pretty much always had non white Australian girl friends, and never had any issues or problems.

There have been about 5 women I have seen, who actually made me drop my jaw in amazement at the mere sight of them. One such, was a stunning Aboriginal girl on a beach in Perth, jet black, statuesque and in a shocking pink bikini, if only I hadn't been with my ex wife and two daughters and niece at the time....

Archived