Tokyo Court Gives Win To Samsung After Us Loss

Flashermac

A court in Tokyo has ruled that Samsung Electronics did not infringe on patents held by Apple, a victory for the South Korean company.

The patent was related to transferring media content between devices.

It comes after Samsung lost a key patent case in the US last week and was ordered to pay more than $1bn (£664m) in damages.

This is one of many cases brought to courts around the world by the two smartphone market leaders.

"We welcome the court's decision, which confirmed our long-held position that our products do not infringe Apple's intellectual property," said Samsung in a statement to the BBC.

Tokyo District Judge Tamotsu Shoji dismissed the case filed by Apple in August, finding that Samsung was not in violation of Apple patents related to synchronising music and video data between devices and servers.

On 24 August, a US court ruled Samsung had infringed Apple patents for mobile devices, including the iPhone and iPad.

The company has vowed to continue to fight against Apple saying it will appeal against the US ruling.

Apple is now seeking a ban on sales of eight Samsung phones in the US market.

On 6 December, US District Judge Lucy Koh, who presided over the initial trial, will hear Apple's plea for an injunction against the Samsung phones, although it does not include the most recent Samsung phone to hit the market, the Galaxy S3

My link

But the re-sale market for them just plummeted.

Even better! It's still a great piece of tech and if anyone wants to offload one I'll happily take it for, oooh, let me see, 5,000 baht!

Will a ban on Samsung hardware be applicable outside of the US or will they be the only consumers denied access to some cool toys?

Apple expands Samsung hit list

Apple Inc has added Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III smartphone to its hit list as it seeks further curbs on the Korean company's "copycat products".

Apple filed the revised complaint on Friday in US federal court in San Jose, California.

The move followed a $1.05-billion jury verdict on Aug 24 in the same court, which found that Samsung infringed six of seven Apple patents in dispute. In that case, Apple is seeking a US sales ban on eight Samsung smartphone models and a tablet computer.

In its new complaint, Apple alleges that Samsung continues to "flood the market with copycat products". It said Samsung had sold infringing products through August, including its "current flagship device, the Galaxy S III".

US District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose ruled last Tuesday that based on the Aug 24 verdict, Apple’s request for a permanent ban on US sales of eight Samsung mobile devices would be considered at a hearing on Dec 6.

The judge has scheduled a hearing on Samsung’s request to lift a preliminary sales ban on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Sept 20, if she deems it necessary.

Samsung, which denied Apple’s infringement claims in a court filing in April, said in a statement on Friday that it would take the "necessary legal measures" to keep its products available in the US, charging Apple with seeking to "limit consumer choice".

The followin Samsung smartphones are named in the revised complaint: the Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Illusion, Captivate Glide, Exhibit II 4G, Stratosphere, Transform Ultra, Admire, Conquer 4G, and Dart. Other devices covered by the filing are the Galaxy Player 4.0 and Galaxy Player 5.0 media players, and the Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and Galaxy Tab 8.9 tablets.

My link

I doubt if it is a coincidence that all these court cases are coming up with the I phone 5 coming out on September 12. I just read a newsletter that says this is the last I Phone that Steve Jobs had a major hand in creating. I don't know much truth is in that but it will increase hype and demand substantially. With sales expected to be as many as 150 million in the next year (150 million times $800 per phone comes to around 120 billion that Apple will rake in over the next 12 months, just on the I Phone. It should be interesting to see how this reflects on its stock price, which is about 663 now.

Archived