Red Bull Founder's Grandson Arrested For Fatal Hit-And-Run

Flashermac

Red Bull heir pays Bt3m to victim's family

September 25, 2012 6:27 pm

The family of Pol Snr Sgt-Major Wichien Klanprasert, who was run over by Red Bull heir Worrayuth Yoovidhya's Ferrari last month, have agreed to an out-of-court settlement of Bt3 million, police said Tuesday.

Thong Lor investigator Pol Lt-Colonel Wiradol Taptimdee said police investigators were still waiting for detailed results after initial blood test showed that Worrayuth might have consumed a narcotic substance. They are also waiting for forensic results of the car and the speed at which it was going when it hit the policeman's motorbike. Wiradol said the results should be revealed soon and the case should be concluded by the end of this month.

The Nation

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Bull heir pays Bt3m to victim's family

September 25, 2012 6:27 pm

The family of Pol Snr Sgt-Major Wichien Klanprasert, who was run over by Red Bull heir Worrayuth Yoovidhya's Ferrari last month, have agreed to an out-of-court settlement of Bt3 million, police said Tuesday.

Thong Lor investigator Pol Lt-Colonel Wiradol Taptimdee said police investigators were still waiting for detailed results after initial blood test showed that Worrayuth might have consumed a narcotic substance. They are also waiting for forensic results of the car and the speed at which it was going when it hit the policeman's motorbike. Wiradol said the results should be revealed soon and the case should be concluded by the end of this month.

The Nation

Bt3m?? The car is worth more than that!!! Even wrecked!!

Bt3m?? The car is worth more than that!!! Even wrecked!!

My thoughts exactly. Brand new, with taxes, I would expect its about 20 million Baht. Not sure since I have never priced one myself. But if taxes were paid (and they are astronomical here on cars that are not party built on Thailand), that car costs the price of luxury condo in Bangkok.

Tis closer to 40 mil Baht.

I have no idea what this kind of car would cost in Thailand, but your figure sounds sensible, which makes the payment to the deceased family all the more appalling. If you don't think this kind of nonsense doesn't fuel tremendous and dangerous resentment with Thailand's lower (the majority of people) classes, you haven't been paying attention the last few years to the dramatic changes in the Thai political terrain.

I have no idea what this kind of car would cost in Thailand, but your figure sounds sensible, which makes the payment to the deceased family all the more appalling. If you don't think this kind of nonsense doesn't fuel tremendous and dangerous resentment with Thailand's lower (the majority of people) classes, you haven't been paying attention the last few years to the dramatic changes in the Thai political terrain.

Yeah you would think so. Look at what is happening now with the ticked off reds and their housing demands. Of course it will all go away so the big shots can keep lining their pockets but in time it will come back to haunt them. Here's a thing though, think I read it somewhere years ago. It asked the question what does a teenage slum boy think and feel when he walk past a Lamborghini sports car parked on Sukhumvit Road. The answer of course is that he feels and thinks nothing. The car is completely invisible to him. Generations of breeding any thoughts about the disparity of different elements within society have been eradicated through a continued force feeding of the triumvirate.

Yeah you would think so. Look at what is happening now with the ticked off reds and they're housing demands. Of course it will all go away so the big shots can keep lining their pockets but in time it will come back to haunt them. Here's a thing though, think I read it somewhere years ago. It asked the question what does a teenage slum boy think and feel when he walk past a Lamborghini sports car parked on Sukhumvit Road. The answer of course is that he feels and thinks nothing. The car is completely invisible to him. Generations of breeding any thoughts about the disparity of different elements within society have been eradicated through a continued force feeding of the triumvirate.

It's the "Thai way". But in the Thai way matters go from clam and peaceful to explosively violent in a nano-second. There doesn't seem to much of middle ground for rational discussion and resolution before come uncorked.

There has been a "Generations of breeding any thoughts about the disparity of different elements within society [out]...", but there has been a conscious effort to eradicate that breeding. This is why I think Mr. T is so popular. He is part of the problem, but his political genus was to tap into that resentment for personal advancement. Many of the people who recognize and are marshaling this resentment are not doing so out of a genuine concern for the poor. They are doing it for their own personal gain. And unless the Thai system changes (and I don't see it doing so), this will continue.

This is why the tensions between the Reds or UTT or whatever they call themselves and yellows shirts continues. There are a few elements in the former that are genuinely concerned about the disparity of rights, but they don't control the party. The latter characterize the former as all Thaksin lead idiots and paid lackeys without recognizing that they have legitimate and serious grievances that, if left unaddressed, will lead to far worse than what we saw in April and May of 2010. This is true even a Red aligned family member is the perpetrator of the injustice.

The internet and social media will only add fuel to the fire, and there is little that can be down to stop this. There are other events that will inevitably occur - events we cannot discuss - that will further challenge this arrangement. I see a very dangerous and rocky road ahead unless these sorts of double-standards are remedied, and I see no serious effort to remedy them. Its just a blame game now with various power groups jockeying for power and making alliances. Mr. T has also now made it apparent that by purporting to be the leader of a populist group (at least paying attention in word while non one else even does that), you can garner tremendous power.

It's the "Thai way". But in the Thai way matters go from clam and peaceful to explosively violent in a nano-second. There doesn't seem to much of middle ground for rational discussion and resolution before come uncorked.

The internet and social media will only add fuel to the fire, and there is little that can be down to stop this. There are other events that will inevitably occur - events we cannot discuss - that will further challenge this arrangement. I see a very dangerous and rocky road ahead unless these sorts of double-standards are remedied, and I see no serious effort to remedy them. Its just a blame game now with various power groups jockeying for power and making alliances. Mr. T has also now made it apparent that by purporting to be the leader of a populist group (at least paying attention in word while non one else even does that), you can garner tremendous power.

Isn't this the standard assessment in regard to LOS? The structures of the society have become more fluid. The masses want their part of the wealth. Even though the masses are mostly being kept uneducated the flow of information now partly happens outside the traditional media, which means they can't kept in control like before. Also a new middle class seems to be forming which on the other hand wants to secure its new position and income. And of course the epic struggle within the elite...

I guess Thailand has some major conflicts lurking in the future. I wonder if some of the current moves are in preparation for an certain event.

Archived