Ais Wont Take My Money.

radioman

So for a good 14 years I've been paying AIS with my VISA credit card, same card, same issuer. This month I get a call saying they cannot accept payment from my card as it is not issued in Thailand.

I don't have a Thai credit card, nor have I ever needed one. Why are they making it difficult to accept my money? TIT I guess but I'd rather go elsewhere than give in to such farcical business practice.

Not sure but I understand with some credit card companies, if a merchant displays their logo then they are duty bound to accept the card no matter the issuing source. Not sure if that applies to Visa.

Anyone else experience this sort of caper?

No, but I would guess it is costing AIS some fee to accept your non-Thai credit card :dunno:

In regards to a Thai credit card, I was going to get one but then I found out that the protections I have with my USA credit cards do not exist in Thailand.

If someone puts false charges on to my card, I have to prove that it was not me! There are hoops to jump thru or you would end up paying!!

Something like this...

No, but I would guess it is costing AIS some fee to accept your non-Thai credit card

I'd put money on it mate - as I understand, it costs to accept pretty much all forms of Visa and Mastercard, something I remember used to be either illegal or against the agreement retailers have or had with Visa/MC - and a reason most of my bills are now paid via eftpos/bpay since the retailers down here are starting to pass on those charges. It's 1 or 2% from memory, more for AMEX and Diners.

Since when we go overseas our (non Thai) banks slug a foreign ATM fee or foreign purchases fee on top of any transaction (ATM or CC purchase) I think it is a safe bet there are extra fees involved with non Thai CC's.

Archived