Girly Berry Star On Dui Charge After Night Out

Flashermac

Singer Piya 'Giftza' Pongkulapa, of popular girl band Girly Berry, was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) at 1.45am today at a traffic checkpoint on Pattanakarn road, police said.

According to police, the 28-year-old pop singer initially refused to blow into a breathalyzer and told a traffic police officer that she "is a celebrity and knows many senior police officials".

Giftza, who was with her female friend, refused to leave the vehicle.

Later, another car arrived at the checkpoint. Two men emerged from the vehicle and criticised the officer and the press who had gathered. They were believed to be Giftza's friends.

She then got out of the driver's seat and moved to rest inside her friend's car.

The pop singer later emerged to talk to the press and police, and admitted that she had been drinking alcohol at an entertainment venue in Thong Lor from 10pm Monday to 1am Tuesday.

She told reporters, while still drinking a lot of water, that she wanted to be sober before blowing into the breath tester because she did not want to appear in court.

"He (the officer) told me to blow into the machine, but I feel that I'm not in an appropriate condition," Giftza told reporters. "And when I'm sober, I'll blow into it."

When a reporter asked her to give a breath sample, she said with a faint smile that she would need to drink three bottles of water first.

"I know (that drunk driving is illegal) but I personally feel that I'm not that drunk," she told reporters.

She said she drank only three glasses of alcohol and intended to take a short rest when her car arrived at the checkpoint.

Giftza denied that she contacted a "high-ranking police official" to help her, as claimed by the traffic policeman.

According to the officer, Giftza handed him her phone saying that he could talk to the "high-ranking official". The officer said he did not feel pressured because he was only doing his duty.

She later gave a breath sample after the police officer insisted that she must do as the law requires.

The breathalyser test showed that her breath alcohol level was .082, exceeding the legal .05 limit for driving a vehicle, police said.

Police said Giftza was released on 20,000 baht bail and will be summonsed to appear at Khlon Ton police station at 8.30am Wednesday before the case is forwarded to Phra Khanong Provincial Court.

My link

TIT

---

"He (the officer) told me to blow into the machine, but I feel that I'm not in an appropriate condition," Giftza told reporters. "And when I'm sober, I'll blow into it." rofl3.gif

"I know (that drunk driving is illegal) but I personally feel that I'm not that drunk," she told reporters. bang.gif

She said she drank only three glasses of alcohol and intended to take a short rest when her car arrived at the checkpoint. rotfl.gif

"He (the officer) told me to blow into the machine, but I feel that I'm not in an appropriate condition," Giftza told reporters. "And when I'm sober, I'll blow into it."

You know I don't think this is TIT as much as it used to be, how many times in the old days this would happen and you wouldn't even KNOW ABOUT IT.

That's TIT!

There seems to be a developing honesty or semi honesty. I say developing, it has a loooong way to go, but it's a start.

Giftza gets suspended jail sentence

Singer Piya 'Giftza' Pongkulapa, of popular girl band Goofy Berry, was on Wednesday sentenced to two months in jail by the Phra Khanong Provincial Court for driving under the influence of alcohol, but her term was reduced to a month because she pleaded guilty.

Reports said the court also fined the 28-eight-year-old pop singer 6,000 baht , and then reduced it to 3,500 baht. Giftza was also fined 1,000 baht for not having a driver's licence.

Her jail sentence was suspended for two years and she was put on probation for one year, the reports said.

The court ordered Giftza to report personally to authorites four times a year and perform 12 hours of community service.

Giftza was arrested on a charge of DUI at 1.45am Tuesday at a traffic checkpoint on Pattanakarn road.

She initially refused to blow into a breathalyzer and told a traffic police officer that she "is a celebrity and knows many senior police officials".

The pop singer later apologised on Twitter for the incident and said she was sorry for setting a bad example for others.

RS CEO Surachai Chetchotisak said Giftza, who is under contract to RS, will be suspended from all of her projects for three to six months.

Surprise, surprise! :beer:

TIT

---

"He (the officer) told me to blow into the machine, but I feel that I'm not in an appropriate condition," Giftza told reporters. "And when I'm sober, I'll blow into it." rofl3.gif

"I know (that drunk driving is illegal) but I personally feel that I'm not that drunk," she told reporters. bang.gif

She said she drank only three glasses of alcohol and intended to take a short rest when her car arrived at the checkpoint. rotfl.gif

Ah the old "The dog ate my homework" defence.

Archived