Sato, The Isaan Version Of Lao-Hai

gobbledonk

Anyone ever tried this ?

Sato

Due to internal migration of people from Isan throughout Thailand, sato (like many forms of northeastern Thai cuisine) have become increasingly familiar to the larger Thai population, as well as to the expatriate and tourist communities. The increased awareness and availability of commercially-produced sato have increased its popularity. Under the Thai government's One Tambon One Product program (a government sponsored economic development program abbreviated ๑T๑P and pronounced OTOP), several districts chose revenue-stamped sato as their OTOP product.[2] Today, several brewers produce sato under names such as "Siam Sato", "Ruan Rak", "Gru Pli", and others.

Gotta love the reference to Lao women crushing scorpions into lao-lao to give it a little extra kick !

lao-lao / lao-hai

Sato is very sweet, too sweet. It is supposed to be distilled again to make lao khao.

My maid from Surin used to make sato for me in my kitchen. Just need sticky rice, sugar, water and yeast. She would sample it periodically. When it was ready, she tell me I'd better drink it then or it would kill me. :)

Used to drink it on the streets of Bangkok with Isan friends, it's sold by those guys walking around with big gasoline jug-looking things slung over their shoulders on a pole.

Reminded me of a crude version of sake. Way too sweet for my tastes to drink more than a shot...plus, you can feel the hangover starting when the first bit of liquid passes your lips, hahaha...

Gimme yaa dong (from a trusted vendor, whom you know doesn't spike it with insecticide, like so many do) over sato any day, if I'm gonna be going "local" (which I don't much these days)...

Good point. Might have to give the Isaan 'shine a miss unless I can see it being made.

I don't take it that far...I just follow the lead of regular customer bar girls I know who seem to have a relatively good head on their shoulders (i.e. not obviously nuts or always drunk out of their mind)...if they drink there regularly without ill effects, I deem that vendor okay. For instance, the yaa dong stand on Cowboy in front of Country Roads is okay. I do not, however, trust the vendor across from Morning/Night on Soi 4. Pretty sure I got a dose of insecticide-laced yaa dong there once (one shot and I was bed-ridden for a solid day with an unbelievable headache...this was about 9 years ago)

Archived