Dubliner Closed

The_Munchmaster

I went around to the Dubliner this evening for a bite to eat but when I arrived there was a very noisy party going on so decided to give it a miss. While standing on the back deck, out of the rain while deciding where to go instead, the manager lady came out to tell me that they were closed for a private party and would be reopening on Soi 33/1 in November.

As a regular customer for many years it was nice of them to let customers know in advance when they were closing down! :shakehead

Anyway went to No Idea on Soi 22 instead.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will be opening in a space on Soi 33/1 that presently houses some sort of ball sports shop - with a soccer ball motif showing above the front facade. Basically, from Robin Hood pub, go past two narrow Japanese restaurants, and the next space - three shop-houses wide - is where they will next appear.

Or - at least that is what I have been told by a very sharp Thai lady who is director of a company located a few doors farther down on Soi 33/1.

Cheers!

SS

They will be opening in a space on Soi 33/1 that presently houses some sort of ball sports shop - with a soccer ball motif showing above the front facade. Basically, from Robin Hood pub, go past two narrow Japanese restaurants, and the next space - three shop-houses wide - is where they will next appear.

The Robin Hood is on Sukhumvit so I suspect you might be referring to the Royal Oak which is on 33/1 along with all the Japanese businesses?

I went around to the Dubliner this evening for a bite to eat but when I arrived there was a very noisy party going on so decided to give it a miss. While standing on the back deck, out of the rain while deciding where to go instead, the manager lady came out to tell me that they were closed for a private party and would be reopening on Soi 33/1 in November.

As a regular customer for many years it was nice of them to let customers know in advance when they were closing down! :shakehead

Anyway went to No Idea on Soi 22 instead.

No Idea has quite good food but a little lacking in atmosphere...at least that's my impression from my two visits there. Owner is very friendly.

I went around to the Dubliner this evening for a bite to eat

I like the Dubliner the handful of time I've been there, especially on Sunday just waking up (noon). You seem to have a fondness for pubs, would be curious to get your recommendations on good pubs in BKK - not bars like strikers or morning/night though certainly a time and place for them too - but good pubs. For example, wasn't aware of the "No Idea" until I read this thread, now I'll probably check it out from curiosity.

In advance thanks.

No Idea has quite good food but a little lacking in atmosphere...at least that's my impression from my two visits there. Owner is very friendly.

I've been there twice as well. Two weeks ago to watch Arsenal v Liverpool and again last night. I suspect you're right about the lack of atmosphere (I sat outside last night so hard to judge atmosphere based on one evening inside the place however that's the initial impression I got) but the food (I've only tried their Thai food so far) is quite good and the owner, who I met last night, is a friendly guy.

...You seem to have a fondness for pubs, would be curious to get your recommendations on good pubs in BKK - not bars like strikers or morning/night though certainly a time and place for them too - but good pubs...

Yes, I do like a good pub but haven't actually been to many very regularly in Bangkok, usually just Dubliner with the occassional visit elsewhere.

I was in the Royal Oak (Soi 33/1) for the first time last Friday evening although it hadn't been my intention to go there.

After a heavy / late night on Thursday I decided to have a quiet night on the Friday and not stray too far from Soi 22. I went to the Dubliner with the intention of having a couple of beers, a bite to eat and a read of the newspaper, but it was packed so I crossed Suk to try the Robin Hood instead, but it was packed as well. I then wandered into Suk 33/1, a street I hadn’t been into in many years, and decided to give the Royal Oak a try. Ordered sausage and mash and a bottle of Singha but have to say that it was the most bland sausage and mash I have ever tasted plus the bacon bits (at least that’s what I think they were) in the mash were not very pleasant. The other thing that wasn’t very pleasant (to the eye) was the fat Thai woman leaning against the bar while quaffing pints of lager. I had another Singha and check binned. Don't think I'll be hurrying back as the place did nothing for me, in much the same way as it's predecessor, the Bulls Head, did nothing for me.

I wandered back onto Sukhumvit and decided to try the Londoner, in the basement of the office building on the corner of Soi 33. I hadn't been there for quite a few years and was quite surprised that it was so busy (Thais must have accounted for about half the customers) and it's a big venue to fill. The atmosphere was good and I had a couple of Singha beers and a read of one of the UK newspapers. What wasn't so good was the cost of a Singha beer, B70 in the Royal Oak and B128 in the Londoner!

I was also in Molly Malones (Silom Soi Convent) on Thursday late afternoon before meeting some friends at Opus. I hadn't been in there for years, in fact it was probably called the Irish Exchange the last time I was there. Anyway it was quite quiet at that time and I found it a very pleasant place to have a couple of pints of Guiness of an afternoon. The Sai Ua was nice to. I did go back in again on Saturday night about 8.30pm hoping to watch the Arsenal v Southampton match and it was very busy. However as they couldn't tell me which TV they were going to show it on or if indeed they were going to show it at all I didn't hang around and ended up watching it at the French Kiss on Patpong 2 (Arsenal 6 v 1 Southampton :cheerleader: ).

There are a couple of newish pubs on Soi 23, I think they're called the Queen Victoria and The Clubhouse, but I haven't tried them yet.

I was also in Molly Malones (Silom Soi Convent) on Thursday late afternoon before meeting some friends at Opus. I hadn't been in there for years, in fact it was probably called the Irish Exchange the last time I was there. Anyway it was quite quiet at that time and I found it a very pleasant place to have a couple of pints of Guiness of an afternoon.

Bloody Hell Munchie it has been a few years I think it changed from Irish Exchange around 2005, the spiral staircase would have been there last time you were in the place.

I can recommend the Sunday Lunch Buffet in Molly's, I am there most Sundays for it.

The Robin Hood is on Sukhumvit so I suspect you might be referring to the Royal Oak which is on 33/1 along with all the Japanese businesses?

If you exit Robin Hood and stand on the entrance platform - you are actually facing the angle of the intersection of Sukhumvit and Soi 33/1. If you take a hard right off the entrance platform you will be walking down Soi 33/1, walking parallel to one wall of the Robin Hood. Once you pass the end of the Robin Hood wall, there are two very narrow Japanese restaurant entrances - both seem to be about a half shop-width wide. You then come to a triple-wide retail store selling "ball sports" items - with a plaster soccer ball "logo" above the facade. That is where the Dubliner will reportedly set up shop.

I am a regular at the Royal Oak.

Cheers!

SS

Nice group of pub reviews there MM and reminds me to try a few that I haven't been to in a few years now. Ref the Londoner, only night to go there is a Wednesday, 2 for 1 drinks all night, so they are normal prices then. It gets rammed though and quite a fair few tasty looking things at times as well.

Archived