Dubliner Closed

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wandered back onto Sukhumvit and decided to try the Londoner, in the basement of the office building on the corner of Soi 33. I hadn't been there for quite a few years and was quite surprised that it was so busy (Thais must have accounted for about half the customers) and it's a big venue to fill. The atmosphere was good and I had a couple of Singha beers and a read of one of the UK newspapers. What wasn't so good was the cost of a Singha beer, B70 in the Royal Oak and B128 in the Londoner!

The key to The Londoner is to get there for their Happy Hour or 2 for 1 nights. Then the cost of your Singha goes down to 64bht!

I think Stickman posted something to this effect last weekend. I've only ever been into two establishments on Soi 33/1 - the Green Parrot and whatever the place is next door. Staggered in there after they kicked me out of the Green Parrot so they could do something mundane like sleep ..... I havent seen the owner, Dick, since 2010 so the bar and his Soi 22 restaurant could all be history for all I know. Anyone ?

Still there, doing good, s'far as I know. I pass the place on 22 regularly and it always seems to 'hab customer'. Not been in the one on 33/? for a fair while now but I have friends who regularly patronise the place and they ainjt said nowt to suggest it's not other than it's regular self.

http://www.greenparrotbangkok.com/index.html

Thanka for the link, radioman. Dick must be doing well to survive in these turbulent economic times, although the restaurant always seems to do well regardless of the season. There really isnt a whole lot for Farang down that end of Soi 22, and it only gets sparser on the long walk to Au Bon Pain/Carrefour. For all the traffic - motorised and pedestrian - on Soi 22, I miss it intensely.

Thanka for the link, radioman. Dick must be doing well to survive in these turbulent economic times, although the restaurant always seems to do well regardless of the season. There really isnt a whole lot for Farang down that end of Soi 22, and it only gets sparser on the long walk to Au Bon Pain/Carrefour. For all the traffic - motorised and pedestrian - on Soi 22, I miss it intensely.

The Rama IV end of 22 is I think a nice easy place and worth the stroll off the more well trodden track. Like a lot of areas just away from the the tourist bits it seems surprising how quickly you CAN find yourself in the real Thailand. Push on down past the Parrot cafe and even beyond Honey House 2 to the crossroad a bit further down, a 7-11 on one corner and a restaurant opposite. Tongkoon is a very typical Thai street restaurant, the CO2 garnish is mandatory but still the place is full of Thai and farang customers more often than not. Just great food, their TYG can be crafted to your wishes and I see regularly 10-12 good size prawns in each bowl. I recommend the pork neck but just about everything comes out great. There are a few Japanese restaurants in this area and a clutch of typical Thai shophouse businesses from pc cafe's to general hardware shops. Carry on down and around the bend to where 22 joins 24 at Chuvit's Davis hotel and then carry on toward Rama IV. Make a left before the petrol station and walk through the newly opened business square. Ogle at the Bentley's and Porsche's in the car showroom, maybe stop in at the wave boarding place where you can ride a continuous stream of water. I think their bar and cafe is now open. Then of course you can cross to soi 26 and the Big C (Carrefour no more of course) Don't forget the little open air market all around Big C if you're with she who would do fun things to you. The shirts and dresses will hit you for less than half or a third of what she would twist your arm for on the big S. If it's a seafood dinner you are after head for Rama IV between soi 22/24 and soi 26. Sornthong is on the north side of Rama IV and if you get there after they open on many nights you will have to wait for a table. This place is favoured by both Thais and Japanese, not sure but I think it gets a mention in their guidebooks, and quite honestly it's not without reason. Typical Thai/Chinese seafood place, basic inside, if you are lucky enough to get a table there, hot outside if not, but still the seafood is probably as good as it gets. Just a big old steamed crab and maybe on-suan(sp) hoi or goong. The TYG is good too but I rate Tongkoon better. If you have a non-seafood eater with you the pork satay is also extra yummy. Add something with veg a bowl of rice and pretty much any of the regular beers and you are all set. The wait staff can be a tad surly, it's a Thai/Chinese place but the beer girls are always sweet. Don't ya just love beer girls :)

So yeah, the 22 area has a lot to offer beyond the top end more touristy stuff north of the Imperial QP. It's a stroll for sure, take a taxi, mo-cy down that end, eat drink and stroll back to a favourite haunt, your body will be happy too.

Archived