Dubliner Closed

The_Munchmaster

My point was meant to be simple, referring to an Irish bar as a British bar is not appropriate considering they are different countries. However my post wasn't meant to be particularly serious, although Mekong for some reason thought he would raise the issue of the bars management. :dunno:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was meant to be simple, referring to an Irish bar as a British bar is not appropriate considering they are different countries. However my post wasn't meant to be particularly serious, although Mekong for some reason thought he would raise the issue of the bars management. :dunno:

Muncie,

The reason I brought up the management and the staff is because the Dubliner like all other Irish Bars in Thailand is an "Irish Themed Bar" as opposed to an Irish Bar. Irish themed may have the decor, the Guiness and Kilkenny on Draft some Irish grub on the menu but that's about it, they don't have the Craic!

The closest it came was when Mad Mick managed Molly's, he imposed the golden rule of Irish hospitality on all his staff "If a customer comes in twice you remember his name, if he comes in a third time you remember his tipple". Another one that springs to mind was Shamrock Bar on Soi Pattayaland 2 in Pattaya, a small open bar where many of the Irish expats used to hang out but that went downhill about 6 years ago now.

Maybe it's because I have spent quite a bit of time in the Republic before I moved to Asia and have also worked with a few Irishmen over the years since that I find the Irish Themed Bars just a little tacky as opposed to an Irish Bar.

The one I mentioned in Madrid, Irish owner, two Irish Bar managers and 60% of the staff were from the Emerald Isle ( with a couple of wee Scottish hens thrown in) , they remembered my name before I had finished my first beer and bought me the second one on my first day in Madrid and I was invited to Sunday Lunch at one of the Bar managers house with his family on the second day, now that is Irish hospitality exported to the middle of Spain.

I am not having a go at you or your post at all, after all being from the East Coast of Scotland yourself I very much doubt that anything could come close to one of your home area pubs no matter how much they tried to market the theme / franchise.

Archived