Floods Reach Pathum Thani

Flashermac

Overflow from the Chao Phraya has flooded communities on both sides of the river in Pathum Thani's Muang district.

Flood waters on Monday inundated houses, schools and Buddhist temples on the east and west sides of the swollen river near Pathum Thani Bridge 1 in tambon Ban Krachang, especially at Wat Pho Luan where water almost submerged the first floors of its buildings, reports said.

The situation also forced Wat Pho Luan Primary School located in the same neighbourhood to relocate about 30 kindergarten pupils to study at its multi-purpose building for safety after their classrooms had been flooded by 40 cm of water.

Choonpiman Submeechai, the school’s principal, said the water flowed into a building which had kindergarten classrooms on its first floor on Sunday night. He said he had advised teachers and students to move learning equipment to safer ground after he and the school management observed that the water level in the river was continuing to rise.

The management had assessed the situation and decided to continue holding classes as mid-term examinations were imminent, although he was worried that pupils who were affected by flooding would face difficulty in commuting to school, Mr Choonpiman said.

Get out your waders again.

This is the normal every year stuff. The area around bridge 1 is under water more of the year than not, even in dry years.

Interesting that they let Sukhothai flood this year, it was spared last year. Wonder if there is a plan to let the upcountry peasants take more of the pain this year since they will still vote as told next time. If that is the price to spare Bangkok I think it is one they will pay. The south west monsoon is starting to build now, and with it the rise in the sea level will come. The dams though lower this year were hardly empty and are filling fast, Bhumibol dam is already discharging. The heavy rain of late has swollen the rivers somewhat as well so it seems all the actors are on the stage and now we await the directors wishes.

Well I sure hope we are not flooded again this year. Lost 2 cars, one covered by insurance, the other so far has cost about $10k in rebuild. Household losses were about $35k and we only had about a foot in the downstairs area, about 9 feet deep at the gate. Really do not want to go through it all again so soon.

I don't see rangsit being flooded the way it was last year. i.e. several months with 0.5 - 2 meters under water in the moo bans!!!

Me neither, but my thinking is based on a guess more than anything. No hard data to support my thinking. I've seen a lot of concrete barrier construction along the banks of the dykes in this area but it still strikes me a single failure could be catastrophic. I guess we'll know for sure in a month or so.

Archived