Review - 'the Passage' By Justin Cronin

gobbledonk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Just finished Max Brooks' 'World War Z' - pretty clear that the Brad Pitt movie has to be a 'ground up' script 'inspired' by the book rather than an attempt to bring said book to the screen. Also very clear that Brooks has an axe to grind with the US (everything from urban sprawl to the Pentagon's tactics for warfighting .. spooky prescience on the depth of the GFC tho) and the 21st Century worldwide - can't say that I disagree with a lot of what he wrote back in 2006, but the 'it will take a global pandemic to fix this planet' idea is as old as H.G. Wells ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z_(film)

Good luck finding any reference to this in the book:

As a zombie pandemic traverses the globe, United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) travels the world trying to find a way to stop the pandemic that is defeating armies and collapsing governments.

• 1 month later...

My prediction that the final opus in the trilogy would be titled simply 'Amy' appears to be as woefully off-beam as my Lotto number predictions each week. Not sure that 'The City of Mirrors' has quite the same ring to it as 'The Passage' or 'The Twelve', but I have little doubt that Amy will play a major part in whatever transpires in the final instalment. Really hoping for big things from the movie, but given the reaction I've had to move of the onscreen versions of Stephen King novels (The Stand definitely deserved soooo much better), my expectations remain relatively low even with Ridley Scott at the helm. This is the same director, after all, who gave us Prometheus ..... :banghead:

Are the cops still turning a blind eye to the proliferation of illegal 'street cafes' on the other side of Suk after the bars close ? That has got to be one of the great rorts of all time - get a few dodgy chairs, the cheapest alcohol you can find and relieve drunks of the remainder of their cash. No rent, no cops checking your CD collection : gotta love anarchy ......

(yes, I know that side also plays host to half of West Africa from 8pm onwards, but the Thais who run those 'cafes' seem to be able to deal with the lowlife element. Cairo meets Zanzibar, all without leaving downtown BKK - love the cosmopolitan nature of it all)

Are the cops still turning a blind eye to the proliferation of illegal 'street cafes' on the other side of Suk after the bars close ?

Not only that, but worse.....yesterday and today I see in daytime upto 8-9 cops checking each sales stand, with tape measurers and writing it all down, together with names and location.

Illegal stands selling fake / copied goods, but amazing cops allowing it, structuring & organizing it in order to get more money out of that. fucking T.I.T.

BB

Archived