Afghanistan Part Xix

gobbledonk

For many, I guess I'm beating a very dead horse, but the difference this time is that its not a burnt-out Digger with an alcohol problem. It's a man who was shortlisted for Chief of the Australian Army, a man who Canberra would have relied on to tow the party line on Afghanistan and any other conflict they might deem fit to send troops to. I believe this dovetails with the 'Functioning Sociopaths' thread, and Cantwell struck me as a man who just couldn't mute the empathy he clearly felt for his men and civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. How many Generals would openly admit that they felt responsible for the deaths of the men under their command ?

My link

I doubt that Defence or it's political masters will make any official response, but I expect that Cantwell is persona non-grata - he alluded to his treatment as a 'malingerer' after he finally admitted he had a problem. This ia a General, ffs - little wonder they just discharge lower ranks at the first hint of a 'problem'.

He talks about Afghanistan being a 'basketcase' in the interview, and makes the grim prediction that things will only get worse for the locals when the Coalition leaves, but this was the quote that stuck with me -

“It’s not worth an Australian life. Show me one thing in Afghanistan that is better because we’ve sacrificed any one of the 38 who have so far died there.â€

I wonder how many senior officers, from Alexander on, have (privately) had similar thoughts. Afghanistan is a graveyard.

sadly, the arms makers profit no matter where there is a war ( bogus or not)

They aren't the only ones who profit from continued hostilities. The corporate world saw the potential for massive profits if they could move in on the surveillance previously done exclusively by government agencies. You now have huge , nondescript buildings in office parks across the US - particularly Virginia and Maryland - dedicated to the collection and analysis of potential threats. I'd like to see more of those resources thrown at the threat of cyber-warfare and organised criminal attacks on our bank balances, personally, but I guess those things aren't as sexy with the folk who decide where US taxpayers money is spent. Here in Oz, our politicians just spend most of it on beer and pussy, and waste the rest. :clown:

(None of the above negates the probability that Iran is building nuclear weapons [i would if my enemy had them], or that Saddam was an evil fucker. Simply that the CIA allowed Pakistan to develop nuclear weapons and there are evil fuckers in power all over Africa and the Middle East - some of whom rose to power and/or remain in power courtesy of a little help from the good folks in Langley, and have happily helped out with the odd extraordinary rendition)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that there is any answer.

From my very limited knowledge of this area.

This land mass is made up of clans or tribes. Because of the mountains and valleys little connection with the outside world. Seems that most live in the Middle Ages. Male dominated culture. Laws, if one can call them laws, are concocted by the elders and enforced by such. The concept of a western style government just does not exist at the village level.

I don't think that any amount of money or Nato troops will change anything.

Then there is the poppies and magwanna crops. Massive amounts in places. How does this commodity travel outside this countries borders?

Then there is this:

"WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials." LINK

And as stated above, the vast Military Industrial Complex is amasing greats sums of monies.

War is good for business. But who actually pays the bills for such wars?

Maybe the drones will turn the tide in favour of the US and allies in Afghanistan :dunno: Drone attacks in the tribal areas of Pakistan seem to be taking out a lot of people ( 2000 at last count )most of them seem to be civis but no doubt some are Talibs also :twocents:

Maybe the drones will turn the tide in favour of the US and allies in Afghanistan :dunno: Drone attacks in the tribal areas of Pakistan seem to be taking out a lot of people ( 2000 at last count )most of them seem to be civis but no doubt some are Talibs also :twocents:

Unless you work for the people who sell the drones to the Pentagon, that could well be the silliest thing you've ever said. The drones are a major part of the US losing the 'hearts and minds' campaign and radicalising a never-ending stream of recruits who arrive on the Pakistan border eager to avenge entire families killed in drone attacks. Short of nuclear annhilation of the entire population and a very large chunk of Pakistan, I cant see how the US can 'win' the war. The Taliban will be back, officially or otherwise, within 5 years - Karzai and his cronies are simply the 'Kabul warlords' right now.

Archived