Western Food In Upper Sukhumvit

Horneytorney

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not Western I know (sorry!), but worth noting. If you like shark fin soup you don't have to traipse over to Chinatown to get it anymore: link

Anyone who supports the barbaric slaughter of tens of millions of sharks each year for the sake of some soup should have their arms and legs hacked off, while they're still alive. See how they like it, cunts. :angryfire::banghead::cussing:

:yeahthat: There is one asian country ( I think we all know who I mean )which is a major threat to many endangered species including rhino,elephant,tiger and sharks because of their culinary and medicinal uses.A case of the newly affluent with more money than sense. :shakehead

Anyone who supports the barbaric slaughter of tens of millions of sharks each year for the sake of some soup should have their arms and legs hacked off, while they're still alive. See how they like it, cunts. :angryfire::banghead::cussing:

There need to be safety nets (no pun intended) in place, and both reasonable practices and regulation in reference to animal populations and our culinary desires vs needs. No fucking doubt.

But Jesus H. Christ, I hope this isn't another victory for the PC Brigade. Did you or your family eat Tuna while you were growing up? Well then, you must've supported the barbaric widespread slaughter of millions of dolphins each year. Because dolphins swim with Tuna and were caught with them in the nets at sometimes ridiculous levels (and they weren't even stripped of anything for food, just outright butchered). So, anyone who ever ate tuna deserves to be drowned and left for dead, @#$@#$!!! F*cking barbarians. Another case of affluent Westerners with no sense.

I meet up with with a small group of friends in Bangkok every year, Viet-Chinese (and yeah, it's OK to say Chinese, if we were talking about Haggis you could say Scots). They have shark fin soup twice a year, once at Chinese New Year, the other when we meet up in BKK. People that came up in as kids in Southern Cal as refugees and now live all over the place (one is in Aus). Middle Class (not quite poor, not quite affluent), they don't take rhino horn for an aphrodisiac or drink piss for health reasons. But they do have the shark fin soup as part of some tradition of celebration and gratitude couple times a year.

Personally I think it's over-rated, I prefer Hot/Sour soup, and I like Tom Yum over Tom Kha any day. No taste for the creamy stuff. But I don't have an appreciation for aged single malt scotch either. Some people do.

Bottom line - yes, hunting practices need to be monitored and regulated. Lets not get wacky because you googled and found a couple websites.

There need to be safety nets (no pun intended) in place, and both reasonable practices and regulation in reference to animal populations and our culinary desires vs needs. No fucking doubt.

But Jesus H. Christ, I hope this isn't another victory for the PC Brigade. Did you or your family eat Tuna while you were growing up? Well then, you must've supported the barbaric widespread slaughter of millions of dolphins each year. Because dolphins swim with Tuna and were caught with them in the nets at sometimes ridiculous levels (and they weren't even stripped of anything for food, just outright butchered). So, anyone who ever ate tuna deserves to be drowned and left for dead, @#$@#$!!! F*cking barbarians. Another case of affluent Westerners with no sense.

I don't have any specific recollection of eating tuna growing up, however I'm sure we did occassionally. Of course we would not have known that dolphins were killed while catching the tuna, after all there was no www in these days. Had we known would it have stopped us eating tuna, I don't know. However we now have all the information we want or don't want at our fingertips and we know that sharks are hunted, pulled from the water, their fins sliced off and then they are chucked back in alive to drown.

I meet up with with a small group of friends in Bangkok every year, Viet-Chinese (and yeah, it's OK to say Chinese, if we were talking about Haggis you could say Scots). They have shark fin soup twice a year, once at Chinese New Year, the other when we meet up in BKK. People that came up in as kids in Southern Cal as refugees and now live all over the place (one is in Aus). Middle Class (not quite poor, not quite affluent), they don't take rhino horn for an aphrodisiac or drink piss for health reasons. But they do have the shark fin soup as part of some tradition of celebration and gratitude couple times a year.

Perhaps you could educate your friends to eat some other kind of soup?

Quite a few years ago my employer at the time organised a dinner out at a Chinese restaurant in Dubai for all the directors and associates. I was a little late and by the time I arrived they had decided to order one of the set menus for everyone. The soup arrived and guess what, it was shark fin. I declined my soup and noticing this my boss enquired as to why I wasn't having any, so I took the opportunity to explain to everyone (about 15 people) how the sharks fins were obtained. I don't think Bob was best pleased with my anouncement but following that a few of the guys did say that they wouldn't have it again and hopefully they haven't.

Bottom line - yes, hunting practices need to be monitored and regulated. Lets not get wacky because you googled and found a couple websites.

Actually I never googled anything, I've known about this slaughter for a very long time. I even have my own related experience as a young lad when out sea fishing off the west coast of Scotland. We were fishing for mackerel or any other fish we could get but hit a shoal of pesky dogfish (like a very small shark) so every time the bait went in the water a dogfish would get it before it could reach any fish. Anyway the young deckhand on the boat would unhook the dogfish, hold them in his arms and stroke them like a pet and then just before chucking them back he stuck a knife through their spines. Although I became an avid trout fishermen I never went sea fishing again.

Perhaps you could educate your friends to eat some other kind of soup?

Actually I never googled anything, I've known about this slaughter for a very long time. I even have my own related experience as a young lad when out sea fishing off the west coast of Scotland. We were fishing for mackerel or any other fish we could get but hit a shoal of pesky dogfish (like a very small shark) so every time the bait went in the water a dogfish would get it before it could reach any fish. Anyway the young deckhand on the boat would unhook the dogfish, hold them in his arms and stroke them like a pet and then just before chucking them back he stuck a knife through their spines. Although I became an avid trout fishermen I never went sea fishing again.

I googled it after reading your initial reaction (never heard about the controversy prior), of course a couple sites popped right up and I assumed you did the same. Logic error.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I forwarded one of the less dramatic sites to my acquaintances get reaction (and out of curiosity), these are good people. So far mixed reaction, skepticism but also conversation and a little hmmmmm, needs further investigation type sentiment. My personal reaction was the same btw. Though a little more disposed to thinking about it after your second post. :)

• 2 weeks later...

back to my original thread. as usual not much input so I checked out myself

excellent French food at Philippe, Suk Soi 39

http://www.philipperestaurant.com/index.php

the restaurant is popular among members of the Royal Family and Philippe, in opposite to many other restaurants owned by Europeans, is daily in the kitchen during lunch and dinner for more than 10 years now.

set lunch menu with choice of several starters, main dishes and desserts 550++

while others have just house wine by glass, they have some good middle priced french wines by glass from 200-300

I liked the pastry with snails (vol-au-vent d'escargots) and the beef stew (boeuf bourgignon)

bill for two persons for lunch around 2400 THB with 4 glasses of wines and some water

another nice place for lunch, this time Italian food, is Beccofino at Thonglor, Suk Soi 55 close to Subsoi 4

http://www.beccofino.co.th/italianrestaurant.html

Antipasti buffet, soup (3 choices), main course (5+ choices) and dessert with one glass of wine at around 500 THB I would call quite a bargain

you can customize; the Japanese went several times to the buffet and took only a soup for 300 THB

several italian wines by the glass

very good Italian cuisine!

in the evening went to Bei Otto (Suk Soi 20)

very extensive menu of German food. currently it is Oktoberfest, so they have Hofbrau on tap

prices still reasonable, bill depend on how much beer you drink. for 2 persons around 1000 THB for starter and main dish with one beer

as a change we found a very authentic Korean restaurant on Suk Soi 33 in the same subsoi as The Office and Wallstreet bar: Seoul Jib

run by a Korean couple

Korean beef (Bulgogi) or beef ribs (Kalbi) for 400-600 THB for 2 persons with 6 side dishes, many other original Korean dishes like rice with beef (bimbimbap) and cold noodles

Thanks HT

Both lunch venues sound like they are well worth a visit.

The one thing I miss now that I am not drinking, is a nice glass of Red.....but it's amazing how much cheaper my Check Bins are these days...lol

Snails, Beef Stew (555) and a glass of their finest water sounds delightful.

Will add my comments after I visit

Cheers DS

Archived