Detox

sayjann

Mekong, I know you are only in Patts during the week, but I struggle to think of a more adverse location for someone with issues around alcohol. :eek:

Gobbie.

Much easier than you think to be honest, you have to remember that I am only staying there midweek because of work in the area so I have something to occupy me, it's not as if I am in Pattaya 24 hours a day with temptation at every turn.

Typical day is up at 6:30, go for breakfast at 7:00 then head to office, finish work 17:30 -18:00 back to Apartment for SSS then meet work mates for Dinner around 19:30 before heading back to Apartment at around 21:00. Watch a movie or such and a bit of time online then hit the hay by 22:30.

To be honest I could be working anywhere in the world it just so happens to be Pattaya area which happens to have a fair selection of reasonably priced places to have dinner at. As long as you have other distractions alcohol does not come into it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My '8 months clean and sober' has been remarkably easy, but I cant wait to get back to LOS and undo all that good work. Not making light of any of the posts above, but I can drink like a fish for 3 months then not touch it for months at a time - 9 months between trips is my previous record. Particularly odd when both parents had problems with alcohol (to the point of our day in court) and this town is full of pissheads. Even in LOS, one nasty hangover leaves me gun-shy for at least a week. I miss Thailand a lot more than I muss alcohol, but I have to admit that the two go hand-in-hand. Sitting in a bar with OJ night after night would be pointless. I don't smoke (again, courtesy of my parents' woeful example), so I might as well join a monastery if I give up drinking.

Mekong, I know you are only in Patts during the week, but I struggle to think of a more adverse location for someone with issues around alcohol. :eek:

Could it be that you are on the way becoming an Epsilon type alcoholic (i.e. quarter drunkyard)? If it's so, staying in LOS for a longer period of time might not be the best choice...

good luck !

sayjann, will you quit smoking as well ?

i doubt it.

i admire anyone who can give up any of their 'addictions' in a wink of an eye,but i'm a weak person and know giving up drinking and smoking at the same time would be impossible.

hopefully on Monday i will get the news i can go into a clinic and have treatment but i definately need to know if i can get out of the place and have a cigarette.

Could it be that you are on the way becoming an Epsilon type alcoholic (i.e. quarter drunkyard)? If it's so, staying in LOS for a longer period of time might not be the best choice...

I think you mean 'drunkard', although I'm not up on the latest lingo in the world of barflies.

You arent the first person to suggest that, but I doubt that alcohol alone will do the job. Thais keep saving me from myself, despite their apparent reputation for treachery and skullduggery. I'm going to need pills, a bottle of Mekong and a bathtub, but I'm confident I can get the job done without recourse to unpleasantness like leaping from a high-rise. So unnecessarily gruesome, but I guess some people feel compelled to make a statement.

I think you mean 'drunkard', although I'm not up on the latest lingo in the world of barflies.

You arent the first person to suggest that, but I doubt that alcohol alone will do the job. Thais keep saving me from myself, despite their apparent reputation for treachery and skullduggery. I'm going to need pills, a bottle of Mekong and a bathtub, but I'm confident I can get the job done without recourse to unpleasantness like leaping from a high-rise. So unnecessarily gruesome, but I guess some people feel compelled to make a statement.

That's a kind of strange statement. I guess the idea that you might lose it when you go to LOS is not unknown to you. Especially since you give your well being out of your own hands in the hands of the Thai. Of course we all know that wherever you go this won't work in the end.

kamui, you are reading too much into this - I have made it very clear in other threads that I have no intention of becoming another zombie shuffling around Big C - if I wanted to join the walking dead, I could do that right here in the nanny state. It doesn't have anything to do with my 'wellbeing in the hands of Thais' or 'losing it' - its an acknowledgement that I have no intention of reaching 65, much less 75, and that has been the case cine my 21st birthday. My father had Parkinson's Disease and dementia - by the time he died we were all strangers at the end of his deathbed. No thanks.

Plenty of good times well before that, though - lets try to concentrate on the positives, shall we ?

kamui, you are reading too much into this - I have made it very clear in other threads that I have no intention of becoming another zombie shuffling around Big C - if I wanted to join the walking dead, I could do that right here in the nanny state. It doesn't have anything to do with my 'wellbeing in the hands of Thais' or 'losing it' - its an acknowledgement that I have no intention of reaching 65, much less 75, and that has been the case cine my 21st birthday. My father had Parkinson's Disease and dementia - by the time he died we were all strangers at the end of his deathbed. No thanks.

Plenty of good times well before that, though - lets try to concentrate on the positives, shall we ?

I might be reading too much into your comments, but I guess I was right that you have a more radikal view on your future than most of us.

By the way, I know several people who live a full life at 65 (including women)....

My mother just turned 93 and gets around quite well, though my sister made her stop driving a few years ago. My dad made it to 85, though he'd had bypass surgery and cancer surgery. He was teaching ballroom and painting at the senior center. I'm past 65 already myself! :surprised:

I have a 69 year old buddy with a late 30s wife and 2 young children, plus he visits the bars now and then. Another friend pushing 80 gets laid once a week. (He looks a lot younger than his age too.) Up to you.

I agree that its going to vary from one person to another - just my POV - but you havent seen the gene pool I sprung from. I guess they didnt help matters by caning themselves - hard labour supplemented by cigarettes and Red Mill rum - but it still doesnt fill me with confidence when I see where my sister's health has gone since turning 60, and she is a wowser who did everything RIGHT .....

Anyway, we have strayed way OT - suffice it to say that I dont expect the rest of the board to suddenly decide they dont want to turn 65. Especially those who already have !

Archived