Udon Thani

Alfmaz

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't heard of the "JK place"...but I can say that Irish Clock is about as central as one can possibly get to the nightlife/bar scene (such as it is, haha)...if that's what you're going there for, make sure you check out a map to make sure the place you select is walking distance...

JK place is new place not far might do 2 nights at JK place and two at the clock going into Loas for the rest

JK place is new place not far might do 2 nights at JK place and two at the clock going into Loas for the rest

Wow...do you have friends in Udon or nearby? I can't imagine spending more than one night/day there otherwise...for me it's a "change of pace" stop on the way back from Vientiane...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow...do you have friends in Udon or nearby? I can't imagine spending more than one night/day there otherwise...for me it's a "change of pace" stop on the way back from Vientiane...

OK - having been to both, I dont recall VT as being a whole lot more 'exciting' than UT. Granted, that was 2008 and things might have improved since, but compared to BKK and Patts both seemed awfully tame to me. The bar 'precinct' in UT was tiny - again, that may have changed since 2008.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I stayed at Irish Clock for a night a few weeks ago. It's a very nice place, and most definitely GF (tested that personally, heheh), with a couple caveats.

First of all, the food in the restaurant is superb, and staff are very competent and nice. The rooms (at least mine was) are HUGE, very clean, nicely furnished. Breakfast did not come with my booking (I clicked the wrong option on Agoda), but they have several decent English breakfast options on the menu and they're quite reasonably priced.

Now, here are the caveats, though they're fairly minor:

1. The wifi, which worked fine in the restaurant, did not reach up to my fourth floor room

2. apparently, if you're going out late, they expect you to take your key (standard hotel key with a large piece of wood attached) WITH you...which is bizarre. I naturally checked mine at the bar (desk) when I went out; when I returned at around 1 am with my girl, the guard at the stairway leading up to the rooms (the restaurant/bar was all shuttered up at that point) didn't have any keys with him, he had to go upstairs and wake the owner to go down to the bar and get my key! Rather strange procedure.

A note on Udon nightlife: extremely slim pickens, as one might imagine...the big outdoor complex, Day/Night, is fairly useless...the other complex, Nutty Park, is a bit better. If you speak Thai, there are a number of after-hours club options where the girls go after work if they're not ready to go home...well, I guess you could try them if you don't speak Thai, but they're really more Thai places than farang.

If you see a girl you like, though, stick with her: the good ones go fast. I lucked out and found my perfect spec (tall, big butt, fun attitude) in a bar in Nutty Park, ended up sitting there all night chatting and drinking with her and her friends (during that time, several of her regular customers came in looking for her and were bummed out to see her taken...). The damage? 8 beers for me, 4 Bacardi Breezers for her and one for her friend (at no time was I asked to buy a drink for anyone, by anyone), AND barfine: 1,300. Yeah, you read that right. She was 1,500 LT.

It's hit or miss in Udon, though: on my last trip there, last May, I couldn't finding anything I liked. YMMV.

barfine: 1,300. Yeah, you read that right. She was 1,500 LT.

It's hit or miss in Udon, though: on my last trip there, last May, I couldn't finding anything I liked. YMMV.

1300 you have to be joking the LT is OK, but thanks for the review. Thanks Muchly (was the 1300 BF because it was around XMas and New Year)

1300 you have to be joking the LT is OK, but thanks for the review. Thanks Muchly (was the 1300 BF because it was around XMas and New Year)

Either you read wrong, or I wasn't clear enough: the 1,300 was for the following: 1) eight Singha beers, consumed by me, 2) five Bacardi Breezers, consumed by my girl and one of her friends, AND 3) the barfine (don't know how much it was...I'm guessing 300). All-inclusive. 1,300 baht total, from stepping into the bar until leaving it about 4 hours later with my girl.

Archived