Death In The Family

passingthru69

Well after failing health, my wife's aunt passed away.

Bless her heart she lived to be 84 years old.

Survived surgey to fix a broken hip and was starting to get around better, but she just kinda gave up.

So here is my wife in the states and I offer to send her home. No she says, we will be home in Dec. and we will be there for the 100 day celebration.

Her brother had her setup with a video program called Tango and every morning for the past 3 days he would confernce her in on the Monks being at the house for the evening rites I believe they are.

Tonight late he will be doing the main funeral at the temple for her aunt.

Last night when she was doing the video, her brother was showing how many people were there.

One person asked why my wife was not there. Her brother then turned the moblie to the lady and said tell her hi.

She was shocked to see my wife on video. Then she said smart idea.

So far my wife hs been holding up well, but I know there will be the time, when she will break down and I will be there for her.

Thanks Ks.

So far my wife has been holding up real well.

Her aunt was the oldest family memember at the house.

Even though I can speak limited Thai and she spoke no english, we all seem to under stand each other.

This lady also did the local home meds. for people with cough.

They call it phat yaa. sp. Looked like a black tar paste. 20 baht per dose.

My mother in law took over the last 3 years.

They did the video a little bit ago taking the aunt to the temple.

My wife teared up a bit..

Always a tough time. My Mrs went home to visit her mother one day and saw the house was all lit up, even though she arrived at about 9pm. She went in and found her mother had died that morning. Her mother's corpse was seated in the corner, as if she were still alive. The family was having the Thai version of a wake. Not a great thing to come home to. :(

Hi,

We had a dead in the family earlier in the year, my wife's eldest brother died (pretty much drank himself to death :(, he was only 49). So, I can kinda understand where you are coming from. I wasn't that close to him - he was a nice guy when sober, but unfortunately that wasn't often - but my wife was quite close to him. It really fucked her up for a while. Her Mom will still burst into tears when he is mentioned, 7 months after his death.

As for the video calls, yes, they are very neat. I use Skype and talk to my parents every weekend for about an hour, mostly on absolutely nothing :)

Once when the in-laws where at the house I showed them this and they waved at my parents. You could just tell though that this was so far above their heads that I might as well have waved my hands and produced a new pick up :)

"Any technology far enough advanced is indistinguisable from magic." (forgot who said that)

Sanuk!

Hi,

Ah, right. Thanks.

It's very true that quote btw.

Sanuk!

In an essay, CJ Cherryh expanded on it somewhat. I don't have the citation available, but I may be able to find the original when I go back to Austin in 2 weeks and can check my book collection.

The following is somewhat from my memory of her essay, and some of my own.

We routinely cure diseases today that were routinely quickly fatal for most of human history. We routinely repair injuries that used to cripple people for the rest of their lives. We can summon 70-piece orchestras, from afar, from a box a few inches on a side, or less, even when the orchestras in question have all been dead for decades. We fly higher than eagles ever could, in perfect comfort. We routinely talk, directly, from a hospital bed in a hospital on one side of the world, to an office halfway around the planet, or a home, or a person walking in the street. We are not amazed that this works at all: we are annoyed when it does not work seamlessly, perfectly, every time.

• 2 weeks later...

But people forget how fragile our systems are. I realise that every time there is a blackout in my neighbourhood and nothing works.

Flash,

Have been watching a new TV series about the whole world losing all electric power, everywhere, forever (so far). Neat premise and a decent storyline. You can download from Pirate Bay. The series started this year (2012). It is named 'Revolution'. It shows exactly what you've said, how fragile it all is and how screwed we would be if it all went down. Noticed the 'previews' when I was back in the states in September and started following it from Pirate Bay. :-) Check it out.

Archived