Little Something Different

Another_Guy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soi 33? The so-called painter bars (since many are named for painters) have "hostesses" who dress well and usually can flash a student ID card (which means they've at least registered). I can't say if their English is that much better, since I always speak Thai to them. You will pay more on Soi 33. Up to you whether it is worth it.

I haven't been there in quite a while, so I can't make any recommendations.

Soi 33 has been dying on its feet since its expat customer base evaporated. Once popular bars of the Nanapong Era have closed for good (e.g. Santana, Papa) or merged (e.g. Monet and Dali, now both housed in a split version of the old Dali). Average age of the hostesses has rocketed into the 30s and levels of pulchitrude and education have nose-dived. Most bars rarely reach double figures of customers per evening; bar-fines still average 1,500THB (spot the correlation).

Not recommended.

Soi 33 has been dying on its feet since its expat customer base evaporated. Once popular bars of the Nanapong Era have closed for good (e.g. Santana, Papa) or merged (e.g. Monet and Dali, now both housed in a split version of the old Dali). Average age of the hostesses has rocketed into the 30s and levels of pulchitrude and education have nose-dived. Most bars rarely reach double figures of customers per evening; bar-fines still average 1,500THB (spot the correlation).

Not recommended.

Are there any new alternatives to the 'painters' bars?

BTW I think 1-2 years ago there was a discussion about so called gentleman clubs. If I remember right they as for hefty fee for to become a member and an evening in those clubs is usually several thousand THB or more (excluding sex).

Are there any new alternatives to the 'painters' bars?

BTW I think 1-2 years ago there was a discussion about so called gentleman clubs. If I remember right they as for hefty fee for to become a member and an evening in those clubs is usually several thousand THB or more (excluding sex).

I've linked to this before, and I suspect that the comment re '8 million (IDR) in an hour and a half' is just a cyber-wanker mouthing off, but that's roughly 800 AUD / 25K baht. One look at the decor in those photos tells me its well above my pay grade. Looks like its the usual haunts - BATS/CJ/Tigah Puluh - for me in 2014.

http://www.jakarta100bars.com/2009/01/alexis-hotel-ancol-jl-r-e-martadinata.html

Leave poor Gobbie alone, I like reading about his trials and tribulations, it sort of makes my life appear semi normal!

With the possible exception of Fiery Jack, I cant think of anyone who has had more (documented) misadventures than your good self, Mekong. Perhaps we three are just the only ones willing to admit to it - that or the others are all living idyllic lives ??

Hi,

I've linked to this before, and I suspect that the comment re '8 million (IDR) in an hour and a half' is just a cyber-wanker mouthing off, but that's roughly 800 AUD / 25K baht.

Plenty of places in BKK where you could easily drop that kind of money in 1.5hrs. And no, I've never done it :)

My biggest bill was only 6K in ~3hrs (b'day party in a karaoke bar).

Sanuk!

Archived