Little Something Different

Another_Guy

I agree with what you said. I just will only be in town for a few days and dont have time to train a BG. I dont know enough thai and after being in town a few days It is nice to actually be able to talk to someone and go out to eat besides the bars. I had non BG girlfriends in the past but that was when I lived in BK for a longer period of time. Just passing through and hoping to have a good time

This is one of the reasons never to burn ones bridges with the ex (wherever possible) she is probably your best source of introduction.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes indeed!

6 years latin

in absentia luci, tenebrae vincunt

8 weeks latin intensive course in Heidelberg. 6 hours lesson per day, 4-5 hours homework and a lot of alcohol at night at a student bar (including an unsatisfying flirt with an extremely beautiful Persian girl [no sex before marriage]). deal.gifhippy.gif

Afterwards I could read even Cicero (I could read Ceasar's "Bellum Gallicum" after 4 weeks).

Unfortunately I forgot Latin as fast as learnt it. 3 month later I had take a state exam and barely made it. If I would have failed my access to a Masters degree would have gone... tophat.gif

Ultimately, I don't see how you can have a "girlfriend experience" with a Thai woman and somehow avoid the difficulties in any girlfriend relationship, and those difficulties are even more problematic in relationships between Thai women and Farang boyfriends.

I've spent a surprising amount of time mulling this over, and its 100% true for me. I have zero patience for making nice with a GF's friends and family, unless I magically hit it off with them from day one. Mature people in mature relationships just smile and nod politely - not me. Throw in the cultural pitfalls and I might as well start making plans to start a relationship with an extra-terrestrial. Or an orphan who is even lazier than I am, and I'm not sure I could sleep with someone that far gone ;)

I wonder why the OP thinks "upscale" places would have TGs with better English skills than the gogo bars?xmassmile.gif

I think its the expectation that said women would be educated, at tertiary level, and that English proficiency somehow goes hand-in-hand with that level of education. Personally, I would agree with that in Indonesia/Malaysia/China, at least based on my own experience here in Oz and in each of those countries. When I look back, each of women I knew from those countries was ethnic Chinese and they were all pushed into studying English from an early age.

Flasher makes frequent reference to the parlous state of English in Thai universities, and there is no shortage of bitching from anyone who has ever taught at 'grade school' levels, yet we've all encountered Thais in travel agencies etc with excellent spoken English : constant interaction with native English speakers beats 'book learning' every time. This was driven home to me in PP when I met a FLer who could neither read nor write, yet had picked up English to a level that I believe would put her ahead of 80% of the girls in Pattaya on any given day, and well ahead of most Melbourne cab drivers ..... :blink:

Gobbie, Thais frequently ask me how they can improve their English. I always give them the same answer - use it regularly! Remember our university language classes when we were students? We would study German, Spanish or whatever for 3 hours a week and never use it outside of class. Is that anyway to learn a language? It is the same with Thai students.

What is missing in motivation. The BGs have it, as do people working in tourist trades. I've told before how the Peace Corps motivated us. After our first week in Thailand, they informed us they were no longer going to feed us. We got a daily allowance and had to feed ourselves. (This was outside of Bangkok, where English speakers were rare.) After our first month, they informed us we were moving our training to the north. "Here's where to go, here's the money and well see you there in 3 days time."

One of the trainees told me he had studied a year of Thai at his university. At the end of our second week he said, "Now you know as much as I." Two weeks versus two semesters.

It you want to learn a language, use the damned thing. If you don't it vanishes before you know it. :(

Of course, we are ignoring the other reason why women in certain venues may have 'poor English' - its a polite way of giving unwanted admirers the brush off. It has never worried me personally, but I avoid 'fresh off the bus' gals in the bars because I hate having to resort to anything resembling baby talk or (gasp!) sign language. Life is way too short.

(fwiw, all of the girls in Sharkey's seemed to have good spoken English - I cant say the same of every Pattaya beer bar I've ever been in)

" Nihil expectorum in omnibus ".....no spitting on public transport :tophat: Some of the relationships that seem to work the best are where both parties have their own separate lives and rarely meet so boredom doesn`t have time to set in,and,as we all know,TGs get bored very easily......or is that just my experience ? :cheerleader:

Archived