Briton Stabbed In Ao Nang In Krabi

Boo Radley

Top 10 Violent Vacationsstirthepot.gif

... what figures exist do not lend themselves to an easy top 10 list for a variety of reasons, including governments cooking the books and victims choosing not to report crimes. Nonetheless, we’ve assembled such a top 10 using statistics provided by NationMaster.com and the United Nations.

US, UK, Germany etc. are just not in this list because nobody goes for vacation there...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, HT doesn't think. :doah:

the one who does not think and just follow the mainstream bullshit is YOU, Munchie

baa was showing the top 10 violent VACATION spots

what radioman shows is a TOURIST statistics, including everything that moves from outside the country to the country in question like businesstrips, visiting relatives, visit for one day etc.etc.etc.

I went myself to USA, UK and Germany many many times, but would I ever do VACATION there? certainly not!

People visiting Thailand and caught up in violence would count toward the same statistics regardless of if they were there for business or leisure. If Joe is visiting Thailand for business and gets stabbed on his day off would that be tourism or vacation? How would the Thais classify it? The point is moot, it's dangerous, don't travel. Having visited more than 50 countries for business there are exceedingly few I would spend my own money to visit for vacation purposes. The world is a pretty crappy place overall.

Yes, this is weird. Incidentally, and I am not disputing this, but how can you tell the head wounds are 24 - 48 hours old? Curious.

You have most likely not seen major knife wounds before. They dont bruise like a concussion Think of the last time you cut your self, unless it was an impact there would likely be no contusion at all. So once cleaned up and if antibiotics were given soon after the cut, there would be no bruising or swelling from infections. Just like a surgical cut in a hospital.

That said, my educated guess is the photo of him with the iv in his hand and the id bracelet were taken within 24 to 48 hours after the attack.

There was a long thread on the Pantip message board about this attack started by a Thai lady (sailomnao) on 27/10/12 who is living abroad and read about it in the Daily Mail, posting up the link to the article. She was of course presumably horrified by the attack but specifically mentioned the damage this will do to Thailand's tourist image with people on the Daily Mail website posting up messages to avoid Thailand now as it's not safe and choose other tourist destinations instead.

This attack still doesn't seem to have been picked up by the Thai media and she was calling for any Thai news outlets to take up the story so that something might be done to put pressure on the authorities for more to be done.

Update:

The latest I heard from the grapevine, as it were, was that 2 of the gang were sentenced today: one 17 year-old got 3 years and one 19 year-old got 10 years. More sentencing to follow on the others arrested. Hope the reports of the sentencing are correct.

I tried searching for the story in the Thai press and turned up nothing. Maybe it just wasn't considered particularly newsworthy since no one got killed or maybe it's hoped for some sort of damage limitation by keeping it out of the press but the story got out anyhow.

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/blueplanet/topic/E12845603/E12845603.html

Archived