Broke Brit Commits Suicide In Phuket

Flashermac

An elderly Englishman who said he had run out of money is reported to have committed suicide by jumping from a radio transmission tower after being taken to a tourist police station in Phuket province.

The 64-year-old plunged from the 12 metre high tower to the ground. His body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital for a post morten examination.

Reports said the man had dined at a local restaurant, but had no money to pay the bill.

The restaurant called the police, who took him to the station to sober him up. Instead, the man sneaked out and climbed up the radio tower. He lamented that he owed about 30,000 baht for room and board but had ran out of money to pay for them, according to police.

He said his request to the British embassy for help two weeks ago had gone unanswered.

Police said he stayed up the tower for about 10 minutes, ignoring pleas to come down, and then jumped.

The embassy will be asked to contact his relatives.

The man had been staying at a hotel in Kratu district since Oct 6, but when asked to pay his bill on Monday he told the hotel that he had spent all the money and was waiting for his relatives to wire him funds from his home country. The hotel refused to accept his explanation.

My link

Guest lazyphil

i was watching a tv show called border control or on these lines. following the australian border, customs immigration control. had some poor sod british guy flown in from bkk with just 1500 thai baht only with the promise of a job from some bloke in adelaide (this was in sydney) who was supposed to meet him at the airport, he wasn't there. immigration calle him to only find out no job existed or at best maybe later on. suffice to say he wasn't given entry to australia. immigration were actually a good bunch and the brit was understanding and not stroppy, just dead in the eyes, must have been in his 60's...sent back to blighty i think. poor effer.

The 64-year-old plunged from the 12 metre high tower to the ground. His body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital for a post morten examination.

sorry but it is "post mortem". No wonder that people with such crappy latin run out of money

the embassies in Thailand have to deal with a lot of such loosers; I saw one myself who was at the embassy queuing in front of me when I had to renew my passport; he was rather harshly turned down when he asked for a advance

sorry but it is "post mortem". No wonder that people with such crappy latin run out of money

doubt the deceased was the one writing the bad latin HT...

really? how are you so sure the deceased did not give a press conference (with written press release containing the bad latin) before he jumped? there is nothing in the report, so you can not just assume!

or was it Flasher? Flasher, brush up your Latin! Mekong and BB can teach you!

the brit was understanding and not stroppy, just dead in the eyes, must have been in his 60's...sent back to blighty i think. poor effer.

Sounds like the oldsters in the Lotto queue here each Monday morning. :yikes:

No disrespect intended, but you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em - the time to make that decision is well before you get to the point either of these gentlemen reached. Easy to say that from the relative comfort of a nanny state, but I don't fancy either of the alternatives detailed above.

Sounds like the oldsters in the Lotto queue here each Monday morning. :yikes:

No disrespect intended, but you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em - the time to make that decision is well before you get to the point either of these gentlemen reached. Easy to say that from the relative comfort of a nanny state, but I don't fancy either of the alternatives detailed above.

Does the Brit embassy pay for a return ticker home?

I know the German embassy does so, but only in very restricted cases: If someone is really broke and really in need (like having had an accident and all money stolen) and when the person has no one back home being able to pay a ticket. But it's not free money, but a loan with interest.

Those dopes who travel to Asia for holiday and just drink and whore their money away won't see a cent.

the embassies in Thailand have to deal with a lot of such loosers; I saw one myself who was at the embassy queuing in front of me when I had to renew my passport; he was rather harshly turned down when he asked for a advance

>>the embassies in Thailand have to deal with a lot of such loosers

I think these punters are minor successes for having made it as far as LOS, rather than leading lives of quiet desperation back in Farangland. But I agree they are losers if they allow the dream to become a nightmare when they run out of money before the flight home.

:beer:

those dopes who travel to Asia for holiday and just drink and whore their money away won't see a cent.

Fair enough, but do you want to be the person at the Embassy who makes that call, ignores one of your citizens and subsequently finds out that you got it wrong ? Here in Oz, we pay for illegal immigrants to be deported back to their country of origin - it actually saves the taxpayer money vs detention - and we pay druggies money each fortnight : should be then ignore Australians who get into trouble OS ? Its a tough one.

Archived