Broke Brit Commits Suicide In Phuket

Flashermac

What a waste under Thai Penal Code Section 345 Whoever, orders and consumes food or drink, or stays in a hotel, by knowing that the he cannot pay money for the food, drink or the stay in the hotel, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding three months or fined not exceeding five hundred Baht, or both.

Since it was his first offence he should have taken the 500 Baht fine then a couple of days in IDC, as persona non gratia the embassy will pay for emergency repatriation.

Would the Oz Embassy pay a 30K+ hotel bill?

No chance, that would be a matter between the hotel and the customer. What they would do (under exceptional circumstances) is fly you home, but they will extract the money out of you at some stage to pay them back, and the flight price will not be the cheapest going.

People need to grow up and take a bit of responsibility. Believe it or not it isn't the government or embassy's job to bail out dickheads who "go troppo" whilst abroad. Grown men/women need to take a bit of initiative themselves and sort their situations out - not just spend spend spend, until the money's gone and then ask for help.

No chance, that would be a matter between the hotel and the customer. What they would do (under exceptional circumstances) is fly you home, but they will extract the money out of you at some stage to pay them back, and the flight price will not be the cheapest going.

Same for us. I used to sit in the same office with the guy in charge of that program. Break down was really pretty simple:

1) Accident or theft (Has to be reported to RTP.) = Ticket home, we will bill you later.

2) Over spent your stay. *no criminal acts! Case by case basis, country manager makes the call. Free phone calls home and to back / credit card company. 50% get ticket home.

3) Over spent stay with criminal acts. (In my exp., 90% of the beggars to get home are in this category. Mostly from unpaid bills.) You're fucked. Deal with the RTP FIRST! We will give one free session with trusted lawyer and I think 4 free phone calls to the USA. That is about it.

Same for us. I used to sit in the same office with the guy in charge of that program. Break down was really pretty simple:

1) Accident or theft (Has to be reported to RTP.) = Ticket home, we will bill you later.

2) Over spent your stay. *no criminal acts! Case by case basis, country manager makes the call. Free phone calls home and to back / credit card company. 50% get ticket home.

3) Over spent stay with criminal acts. (In my exp., 90% of the beggars to get home are in this category. Mostly from unpaid bills.) You're fucked. Deal with the RTP FIRST! We will give one free session with trusted lawyer and I think 4 free phone calls to the USA. That is about it.

Sounds about right. I guess most countries do have regulations like this.

I once had the misfortune to know a dead beat who had been living abroad by freeloading on others. He spent several years in the Satya Sai Baba ashram in India, before they finally kicked him out. Some how he managed to get to Bangkok, still with no money. What I heard happened was the US embassy flew him home, but they seized his passport. He could not have it back until he had refunded the Feds for the air fare.

He, the guy I am talking about, came up to me and a buddy at Phrom Pong BTS station one day. We, both being rock scrubbed cops, pretty much saw through it and told him to go to the Londoner and ask for Al. (Which is funny in and of it's self!) He seemed pretty upset we were not buying his sob story. In retrospect... it was pretty funny.

Archived