Woman Dies In Five-Storey Car Park Plunge

Flashermac

The 'problems' seem to be normally with autos.

There are numerous safety features built into the selection that they need to be (un)consciously overridden.

Rant on... :cussing:

1. You need to step on the brake pedal before a relay unlocks the 'lock' button when in Park. You then have to depress the lock button before you can move into any other gear. While still stationary.

2. When in 'D' or any other 'drive' gear, you cannot move further than 'N' unless you operate the 'lock' button. You can only move back into park if you are stationary, press the brake pedal and then pressing the 'lock' button before you can move the lever anywhere. (This really got my goat because the driving instructor taught my son to always move the lever to 'park' when at a traffic light. This means you have to pass 'R' on the way and could mean accidentally moving off in reverse. :doah: I told my son, never, ever, press the 'lock' button as long as you need to move forward. The gear selector lever will always end up in 'N'; then use the handbrake!! That is what it is for!!!) Right. Rant over.

Sad that she did not survive the accident, but when driving instructors pass bad habits on that bypass the safety features accidents like this will continue to happen.

Off topic - at least with the manual gears there was a learning curve with clutch pedal and gear position coordination. With the autos even a 2 year old can get up to speed provided he or she could reach the pedals... :twocents:

The video of this on the news is amazing, there is a security guard on the street who is walking around, then stands still, moments later a part of the car hit within a meter of him, he leaps and the rest of the car hits where he was standing and bounces into the shop fronts.

He had an amazing lucky escape.

Couldn't find the video of the accident actually happening with the security guard but did find footage of the car after the accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hb-OVqVpHI

http://www.koratnana...pic,2359.0.html

Archived