Who Will Become The Next Us President

kamui

Who will become the next US president?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be elected the next president of the USA

• M. Romney will win by a wide margin. - The polls are all manipulated by the left and voter's opinions are overrated anyway
    • M. Romney will win with a tiny lead. - I know that minorities hate him (women, gays, guatemalans, e.g.), but he absolutely represents my values, which change at least twice a day.
    • B. Obama will win with a tiny, tiny lead. - That's what the polls say. Polls which don't agree are fake.
    • B. Obama will win by a wide margin. - His core electorate like women, blacks and Hispanics is mostly out of job anyway and has enough time to vote all day at different voting stations
    • I don't care. One US president is like another, just the color changes sometimes
    • Election? Where? Who? The BGs at Beach Road never told me about this.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeb Bush Ready for 2016

By Jonathan Chait

"One thing everybody agrees about Jeb Bush is that he’s a smart man. He spoke this morning to reporters at Bloomberg L.P. (I was not in town, but was able to read accounts of his remarks in almost real time due to the miracle of the Internet.) Bush is clearly engaged in an effort to position himself as the next leader of the Republican Party."

LINK

Look like an even older hag. :)

They are airing a doco this weekend entitled simply 'Clinton', detailing the trials and tribulations of the Clinton era. I reckon that saga aged her at least 15 years in the space of the 3 or so years we had to endure endless footage of the claims/denials etc. Somewhat bizarrely, Bill Clinton's presidency is now viewed with nostalgia by those who want to go back to that trillion dollar surplus and the 'good times'. He definitely helped Obama win the 2012 election.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/clinton/

I can understand the nostalgia - for me, ANYTHING pre-GWB seems like a fantastically good time compared to what has followed - but Wall St was busy sowing the seeds of financial collapse even back then.

I have always liked Jeb and frankly the family thought he would be the one running for President, not his older brother. I like that he is moderate, not a religious right wing nut and not a far right social conservative. The negatives are obvious and that are his brother's legacy and he being governor of Florida in '00.

His record is good though, he's also an environmentalist to some extent and fought having the everglades and the florida coastline drilled for oil and natural gas. He made a very controversial but successful education reform that Blacks fought hard in the state but it resulted in more Blacks in the University of Florida system. What he did was a two pronged approach, he went for magnet schools and improvement of the lower performing schools but if you were in the top 10 percent (I think its top 10, could be another number) you were automatically accepted into the state university system. That way a smart student from a bad high school is competing against his peers and not someone with an advantage being in a better school with better books, teachers, and resources and smaller class rooms.

... He [Jeb Bush] made a very controversial but successful education reform that Blacks fought hard in the state but it resulted in more Blacks in the University of Florida system. What he did was a two pronged approach, he went for magnet schools and improvement of the lower performing schools but if you were in the top 10 percent (I think its top 10, could be another number) you were automatically accepted into the state university system. That way a smart student from a bad high school is competing against his peers and not someone with an advantage being in a better school with better books, teachers, and resources and smaller class rooms.

Doesn't that lead to a high college dropout rate in the freshman year?

Hello baa99,

I don't know. Possibly, I don't have any numbers. I will say this. If you're in the top percentile at even a bad high school, I would assume you're a universary level student. You may not be able to compete at Harvard but you are at least smart enough for college.

I can site personal knowledge to some extent. The High Schools in my area were crap, had a high drop out rate and we even had a nursery because girls were getting pregnant and dropping out and the principal had a room for it just to get the girls to finish HS and not drop out.

That said, those of us who wanted to go to college studied and took the hardest classes I would say were college quality by a far shot. The problem came with resources. I finished HS at a suburban one because my local school didn't have AP classes. Even Calculus.

So, I would say that they are smart enough but may require some sort of prepatory classes that were in subjects that wasn't in their school. Lets face facts, there are plenty of kids, even at the Univ. of Florida, from good high schools and you wonder how they got into school when you sit next to them. I thought the same when I was in college. Some kids, even at good schools didn't seem at the races...lol.

The main issue is improving the quality of the bad schools or schools in lower income area so that the kids who want to do well later, have the resources. That's the unfairness of it all. I knew very smart people, much smarter than I ever was, who didn't have the home structure, motivation from school, etc.

We are missing out on a wealth of talent out there. We really are. You never know who we are letting fall through the cracks who could cure cancer or AIDS.

On a related note, that's why I'm very much for education world wide, especially girls. India, Pakistan, etc. I'm sure, and this is for somewhat selfish reasons as well as compassionate ones, who could solve a myriad of world issues were they educated. Africa, India, Pakistan, you see the smart ones who are fortunate and how well they do (they always win the American Spelling Bee) and you wonder at the wealth of knowledge we are losing.

Here's your fun fact for the day. This astounded me when I first heard and then thought about it and its true. No Republican ticket since the 1920s has ever won the Presidency without a Nixon or a Bush on the ticket as President or Vice President!

With Jeb thinking of running in 2016???????

I think Bill wants it more than Hillary. I think she will run and it will be a Biden v. "Billary" primary. Hillary will win it I think. A long term prospect is Newark Mayor, Cory Booker in 2020 if the Dems lose. I think he'll run for Governor or Senator of NJ. WIth Christie there it makes it tough to be governor but he's a star. No question. Smart, integrity up the ying yang. Progressive though and that will hurt him with conservatives but he can appeal to the middle. The comparisons to Obama will be made obviously but he is far more 'honest'.

Christie may run, Jeb Bush as well. Both will make it very hard for a Democrat. Christie will appeal to the middle as well as Democratic men. He's very 'New Jersey'. Jeb will bring Florida with him and he is moderate enough to get Ohio. He will get Virginia as well so that will it tough for any Democratic challenger.

Archived