36 replies to this topic

#1 The_Munchmaster

The_Munchmaster

Fat Cunt

• Board Sponsors
  • 12231 posts
  • LocationBonnie Scotland at the moment

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:54

I spotted this in Stickmans blog this week.

"One of the longest running bars in Sukhumvit soi 33 has closed, although whether it has shut its doors for the last time is unknown.  Renoir had been running for 30 odd years but the venue has been stripped of its fixtures and is currently a right mess.  The girls from Renoir have moved to Setanta Bar, 100 metres up the soi."

I spent a lot of time (and money) in Renoir in the early to mid 90's when it was a great bar with some great girls. But over the years it, like the rest of Soi 33, declined and it's been a long time since I've been in, other than for a couple of quick ones for old times sake.
"Guess that I was born to be a rover.
Guess I've always been a rolling stone.
But someday when my rolling days are over.
I will find a place to call my own.
'Cause even the lone stars they get lonesome.
Lonesome as the lost ship on the sea.
Even the lone stars they get lonesome.
Lonesome for a lone star man like me."

#2 BelgianBoy

BelgianBoy

returnee

• Board Sponsors
  • 15333 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:06

View PostThe_Munchmaster, on 06 November 2012 - 08:54, said:

I spent a lot of time (and money) in Renoir in the early to mid 90's when it was a great bar with some great girls. But over the years it, like the rest of Soi 33, declined and it's been a long time since I've been in, other than for a couple of quick ones for old times sake.
same here, it used to be one of my homebars in the 90's when in BKK.......have not been there for the last 10 years, on purpose.
עם ישראל חי

#3 TheCorinthian

TheCorinthian

Carpal Tunnel

• Board Sponsors
  • 3759 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:41

Agreed.  It USED to just rock!  One of the first places Al E took me when I first landed.  Sad to see it go... but it had fallen so so far.
Bangkoktraveler: "During the Great Depression items cost more then they did during the Great Depression."

#4 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 54665 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:05

Hadn't been there in years, but I remember how much fun it used to be.
A happy childhood... is the worst possible preparation for life. - Kinky Friedman

#5 gobbledonk

gobbledonk

old hand

• Members
  • 10616 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:32

View PostThe_Munchmaster, on 06 November 2012 - 08:54, said:

I spotted this in Stickmans blog this week.

"One of the longest running bars in Sukhumvit soi 33 has closed, although whether it has shut its doors for the last time is unknown.  Renoir had been running for 30 odd years but the venue has been stripped of its fixtures and is currently a right mess.  The girls from Renoir have moved to Setanta Bar, 100 metres up the soi."

Good to know that Munchy's old flames from the mid-90s are now at Setanta Bar.    :grinyes:

Stick ran a story a few weeks back about an ancient mamasan who has been with the same bar since the 70s (!) and she now claims that there is a non-stop procession of Farang wanting to talk to her about 'the good old days'. When I think back on the people I knew in the 70s, I'm not entirely sure that I'd like to see them 40 years on .....  :yikes:
the price of freedom :> eternal nonchalance

#6 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 54665 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:48

I'd definitely prefer not to meet the first Thermae girl I slept with back in 1973. That cute waitress from Ubon was 21 at the time. That makes her 60 now! :yikes:

And let's not get into the ones in Vietnam in 1969 either. :banghead:
A happy childhood... is the worst possible preparation for life. - Kinky Friedman

#7 The_Munchmaster

The_Munchmaster

Fat Cunt

• Board Sponsors
  • 12231 posts
  • LocationBonnie Scotland at the moment

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:44

View PostTheCorinthian, on 07 November 2012 - 01:41, said:

One of the first places Al E took me when I first landed.

Al E who always sat at the same table opposite the end of the bar?
"Guess that I was born to be a rover.
Guess I've always been a rolling stone.
But someday when my rolling days are over.
I will find a place to call my own.
'Cause even the lone stars they get lonesome.
Lonesome as the lost ship on the sea.
Even the lone stars they get lonesome.
Lonesome for a lone star man like me."

#8 baa99

baa99

stranger

• Members
  • 2366 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:00

View PostFlashermac, on 07 November 2012 - 09:48, said:

I'd definitely prefer not to meet the first Thermae girl I slept with back in 1973. That cute waitress from Ubon was 21 at the time. That makes her 60 now! :yikes:

And let's not get into the ones in Vietnam in 1969 either. :banghead:

I may know her! Is her name Noi?

#9 gobbledonk

gobbledonk

old hand

• Members
  • 10616 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:18

Aah, Flasher - the tales they used to tell about Viet whores deliberately giving GIs especially nasty strains of STD put me right off any such reminiscences. This thread refers to one of those 'urban legends' - 'Rose VD':

http://boards.straig...ad.php?t=266039

We laugh at the girls for some of their beliefs re different races outside Thailand, but those rumors did the rounds in every part of Oz I've ever spent time in. Ah, hang on - I'm beginning to see a pattern here ....  :shakehead
the price of freedom :> eternal nonchalance

#10 yfs

yfs

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:32

They were notorious for bill padding (from my experience).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users