Renoir, Soi 33 Closed

The_Munchmaster

I spotted this in Stickmans blog this week.

"One of the longest running bars in Sukhumvit soi 33 has closed, although whether it has shut its doors for the last time is unknown. Renoir had been running for 30 odd years but the venue has been stripped of its fixtures and is currently a right mess. The girls from Renoir have moved to Setanta Bar, 100 metres up the soi."

I spent a lot of time (and money) in Renoir in the early to mid 90's when it was a great bar with some great girls. But over the years it, like the rest of Soi 33, declined and it's been a long time since I've been in, other than for a couple of quick ones for old times sake.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent a lot of time (and money) in Renoir in the early to mid 90's when it was a great bar with some great girls. But over the years it, like the rest of Soi 33, declined and it's been a long time since I've been in, other than for a couple of quick ones for old times sake.

same here, it used to be one of my homebars in the 90's when in BKK.......have not been there for the last 10 years, on purpose.

I spotted this in Stickmans blog this week.

"One of the longest running bars in Sukhumvit soi 33 has closed, although whether it has shut its doors for the last time is unknown. Renoir had been running for 30 odd years but the venue has been stripped of its fixtures and is currently a right mess. The girls from Renoir have moved to Setanta Bar, 100 metres up the soi."

Good to know that Munchy's old flames from the mid-90s are now at Setanta Bar. :grinyes:

Stick ran a story a few weeks back about an ancient mamasan who has been with the same bar since the 70s (!) and she now claims that there is a non-stop procession of Farang wanting to talk to her about 'the good old days'. When I think back on the people I knew in the 70s, I'm not entirely sure that I'd like to see them 40 years on ..... :yikes:

I'd definitely prefer not to meet the first Thermae girl I slept with back in 1973. That cute waitress from Ubon was 21 at the time. That makes her 60 now! :yikes:

And let's not get into the ones in Vietnam in 1969 either. :banghead:

I may know her! Is her name Noi?

Aah, Flasher - the tales they used to tell about Viet whores deliberately giving GIs especially nasty strains of STD put me right off any such reminiscences. This thread refers to one of those 'urban legends' - 'Rose VD':

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=266039

We laugh at the girls for some of their beliefs re different races outside Thailand, but those rumors did the rounds in every part of Oz I've ever spent time in. Ah, hang on - I'm beginning to see a pattern here .... :shakehead

Archived