Windows 7 Or 8 Laptop?

yfs

Looking to buy another inexpensive laptop. Not knowing too much about Windows, I need some advice from more seasoned users. What would you buy, Win 7 or 8?

I am comfortable with Win 7 look, feel and navigation, but is Win 8 an advantage?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mac.

Come on Mr C he is looking for a cheap second Laptop not a Desktop replacement like we use our Macbook Pro's for

YFS

If you are comfortable with W7 and it does all that you want it to do then I suggest that you stick with it but get a Laptop capable of running W8.

In 12 months time when Microsoft SP3 of W8 is available you will be able to pick up a copy for 100 Baht at Tukcom if you wish.

Hi,

What is it with you Mac fanboys that you want to convert everyone? It's almost like religious zealousy.

The guy is asking for a WINDOWS machine and may well have his reasons for that. Not everyone needs - or *wants* - a Mac.

As for the OP's question, I too would recommend sticking with W7. While all the reviews I've read of W8 are favorable, they all focus on tablets / touchscreen PCs. I am far from convinced this new interface will be that nice to use on a desktop.

Sanuk!

I use all sorts of different OS's depending on the application, I have my opinions on what's good and what's not but they are just that. For most users a Windows system is a good balance between price and irritation level. I too would stick with Win 7 but also agree you need something that can happily handle Win 8, though I don't think that is going to be too difficult if it runs Win 7, I don'tthink they demands are so much different.

I have a Win 8 64 bit system running on a core 2 duo desktop machine with 4GB RAM and it's fine. The lack of a START button is going to throw a lot of people though once you get used to bouncing the mouse cursor into the bottom right corner to reveal the main menu and from there access the Metro front end it soon becomes a bit of a non issue. So far it's been stable. This is the free preview version so I would expect some updates in the release version. I will say that if you use more than one screen they have fixed probably everything you might find annoying with multi screen on earlier versions of Windows and the task bar menu locations are much more flexible than on OSX even now.

Hi,

What is it with you Mac fanboys that you want to convert everyone? It's almost like religious zealousy.

The guy is asking for a WINDOWS machine and may well have his reasons for that. Not everyone needs - or *wants* - a Mac.

As for the OP's question, I too would recommend sticking with W7. While all the reviews I've read of W8 are favorable, they all focus on tablets / touchscreen PCs. I am far from convinced this new interface will be that nice to use on a desktop.

Sanuk!

Thanks guys.

FYI, at home I have (and use) two Mac minis. One is my music jukebox and the other is my main computer.

For work I use my Macbook and an older IBM Thinkpad.

I also have a lower end Lenovo I use for travel.

I'm not a loyalist to any platform.

Come on Mr C he is looking for a cheap second Laptop not a Desktop replacement like we use our Macbook Pro's for

you're right. I caught the inexpensive part when I was re-reading. To the OP: Stick with 7. We have had prototype Win 8 here for a couple of months. I hate it. If you have a kid that can show you how to run it you are better then me, but I could just be too old to want to change how I interface with the machine.

KS, No, you can still re size windows in W8. There are new apps that run through the metro interface that are essentially screen only, like the new media player or picture viewer, these are I think aimed at the tablet integration side and whilst they work on other machines you are not tied to using them.

Getting on in years seems to be an issue for me with interfaces as well. Watching my kids, 10 and 11, transition from an XP machine to W8 you would be hard put to see any difference. They just play around and tweak stuff to get what they want and seem devoid of any interface issues, their focus is only on the end result.

Hi,

Thanks. And I know what you mean re the UI stuff. I shouldn't be worried as I've gone through plenty of these changes, but still most people dislike change and the new UI for W8 is pretty radically different. While I can see it working on tablets, that Metro stuff on a desktop???

Sanuk!

Archived