Windows 7 Or 8 Laptop?

yfs

The interface and other stuff is reason for most businesses in the Netherlands not to change to Windows 8 and stick with the old environments according to research done and published in the media. It would cost to much money to educate the staff and adjust software.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And o yeah fuck Mac ;p after Windows 7 I will switch to Ubuntu. I am learning it now. My rationale is, with both Windows and Mac you are tied up to 1 big company. Now if Microsoft wants me to relearn how I use my computer I might as well go Ubuntu and be loose from any attachments to Microsoft or Macintosh. 80% of what I use on my pc at the moment is open source, or free software anyway (and that includes games). So I don't see why I should stick around on windows especially if they want to make my life difficult.

W

waerth - I've been using ubuntu for about a year now. 90+% of the time it rocks, but despite it's "Wine" application which claims to run windows based software - it struggles to do this. All up I find it a lot quicker than my previous windows OS, but some software simply doesn't work on it.

Having said that, it is quicker than windows, and my machine is a few years old. I'd recommend running it alongside windows or whatever you are using currently - just to make sure it suits.

I am sure there are solutions to what doesn't work on my system, but I'm not tech savvy enough to sort the issues.

I tried Windows 8 free download from Microsoft and found it to be a waste of time on my non touch PC. It looks like two systems together with different appearances. The desktop gives the old Win7 look and feel albeit in a flat 2D non Aero way and the Win8 looks and feels cheap and useless for all but the most basic of tasks, which could appeal to the uninitiated or iPhone types who don't like to geek around. I was well happy to reinstall Windows 7, and forget about it. Maybe Win9 will be better? Win8 for me is the first time I have rejected a new Windows since Win 3.0.

I tried Windows 8 free download from Microsoft and found it to be a waste of time on my non touch PC. It looks like two systems together with different appearances. The desktop gives the old Win7 look and feel albeit in a flat 2D non Aero way and the Win8 looks and feels cheap and useless for all but the most basic of tasks, which could appeal to the uninitiated or iPhone types who don't like to geek around. I was well happy to reinstall Windows 7, and forget about it. Maybe Win9 will be better? Win8 for me is the first time I have rejected a new Windows since Win 3.0.

Told you. We hated it.

Win is betting the farm on this. But it is about the only thing they have left unless they want to become the next RIM or Nokkia.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived