1-Gigabit-Per-Second Google's New Internet Service

Coss

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a debate that is quite interesting. Many believe that there is very little a residence will do effectively with a 1 gig connection that they couldn't already do with a 25mbps to the home connection. 25 and 50 are quite common now in some parts of the USA, and with video compression now optimizing video at amazingly low rates, unless everyone was watching 3D in ultra high definition VOD (Not streaming as that can use Multicasting) in 4 rooms or more at once, then 25 is great, with 50mbps even better and less reason to really NEED 1 gig. For work we now deploy cinema quality 3D at 10 - 20 mbps, for residential HD TV's, the most we stream at is 7mbps. 20 years ago when I was doing my first Digital Compression for broadcasting, it took 7mbps ave over a Stat Mux to deliver a very average TV signal.

The question also gets back to the network design, sure, you can "access" 1 Gig, but do the servers/peers providing the content to you spew it out that fast? Nearly universally no, but to be far the question of what came first is answered here, the "Chicken" as without the chicken no one will lay the eggs for it to access content.

But yes, there are a number of other FTTH deployments in the USA using GPON, the same gear as my mates are deploying in Kansas City, I am talking to them right now by email as I type, so any questions you want to know?

NOTE though that an interesting issue regarding congestion is that the amount of "real live" video conferencing is anticipated to be quite low. Hence the issue of congestion is also debated that when everyone or a majority of NAP's can spu out the content fast enough, and Google does have YouTube under control there, then we will see no "congestion" issue, as the packets will arrive so fast there will be no congestion.

An interesting point, but again it relies upon other networks being able to keep up the speed.

The XChange Goole peers at is very good, it's the other XChanges that need to increase their speed to support 1 gig, as well as this server here for example.

KS - Does you server support 1 gig access by content?

NOW if we want to talk about business access of data, then 1 gig makes good sense, and few people are going to take issue with that.

But don't assume just because we have the quality roads and great highways, it's safe to travel at any speed, nor needed to do so. I'd much rather see the large areas of USA that have crap access get better access, and I'd LOVE to see the complete change in FCC rules and regs.

And if Google would do what it promised initially, have an Open Access model, the same as Singapore and Hong Kong have done with the Public in Singapore and Private in Hong Kong networks, that would be even better!

However Google wanted a monopoly on it's efforts. Sad really as a great opportunity for the USA missed.

A problem with what you are saying is people forget how "bad" the net was just 5 and esp 10 years ago. But at the time, we thought it was great. So the ability to have this type of internet is what spurs inovation to follow it.

For example, I well remember thinking how would I ever fill up a 10gb hard drive when I bought a laptop in 1999. Now I am trying to conserve room on a 500gb.

The other issue is money. No one, not even Google, does stuff for free. If it cant make money, even in the long run, it will not get off the ground. And it is very cleat that none of the other players were even going to try it. So to keep harping on how it could be better is to totally ignore how great and ground breaking it is. I looked pretty hard and cant find an example of this type of project, on this scale, for this price, with this impact, anywhere that was not government funded.

(I just wish they had brought it to my town!!! :( )

Your a youngin'! I can remember my IBM PC XT having a 20MB hard drive!

I do remember, I put in some of the first "Internet" links to Australia in the very early 90's for commercial use.

Satellite VSAT projects have had far greater impact than this though, you forgetting Google is just doing what many other countries are doing, and on a SMALLER scale!

For example iPSTAR, Thailands ground breaking satellite created a new concept in Satellite connectivity, slashing existing VSAT pricing by 90% and more. Being the largest and most advanced satellite at launch.

YES crappy connectivity compared to terrestrial services - but for those with nothing in places no one wants to build wired or wireless terrestrial solutions, truly a game changer.

ViaSat1 is a direct descendant from iPSTAR, whereas Wild Blue was 30% more inefficient in it's technological solution.

You may have forgotten that the Hong Kong solution is both Private funded, and far more advanced in it's support of entrepreneurial solutions.

Australia NBN is going to eclipse Googles efforts, but that is government funded.

Note though there is a lot of communication between the architects of those solutions.

Google is ONLY ground breaking in USA, in the rest of the world there are the same solutions coming online on far wider reaching scales.

Interestingly in Africa recently I was working on a project that deployed the same terrestrial infrastructure Google is doing KS,

Our only challenge to the connectivity supplied was we can't get enough international bandwidth, even owning part of the international cables.

So the services in "Africa" are topped at 25mbps at the moment on a network that can deliver far more.

Here is the Hong Kong solution, their commercial business plan is FAR FAR more exciting and interesting than Google's sadly.

<<Hong Kong Broadband: Understand the HKBN model

5 Nov 2012

"Hong-Kong Broadband Network’s NiQ Lai is one of the most fascinating executives in the broadband space, and listening to him explain HKBN’s approach is always full of insights. This video interview was done by futurist Anders Sorman-Nilsson and though it’s only 10 minutes long, it’s full of nuggets."

View: http://www.fiberevolution.com/2012/11/understand-the-hkbn-model.html

Look at the related posts as well.

Just because a company does something smart and good in the USA doesn't place it above criticism, which is why I do have many many friends at Google who are keen to understand the criticism and how they can get better.

I looked at your post and links. I still do not see gigbit internet on a city sized scale to the common user. (And Im not that young, but thanks! My first PC was an Apple II+! 64k budda!)

And i dont mind criticism at all when it is warranted My point is, there are always people who want "more" no matter what "more" is. And your points sound a lot like this. Remember, this is not and was never pitched to be an altruistic move on Google's part. They still want to make money.

From the links I suggested you look at - <<Look at the related posts as well.>> I posted note the pricing in the article is in HK$'s, which works out too $26. Kansas City is about 3 times that price.

HKBN has done it again…

In November, they announced that they were lowering their 100Mb/s symmetric service price to HK$99/month, which resulted in a massive increase in customer acquisition. The price of this particular service level was previously HK$268. As stated in their January 11th press release:

The launch of “AWESOME SPEED. FOR EVERYONE†program on 1 November 2009, which offers symmetric 100Mbps broadband service at US$13/month (HK$99/month), has brought overwhelming market response. For the two months since launch, we have added net 38,000 broadband subscriptions. This growth rate of net 19,000/month is 3x higher than our net 6,250/month achieved during FY09.

Today, they announced that they were lowering the price of their 1Gbps service option to $199/month. This service was previously priced at HK$1680/month. This is a price drop of 4/5th! And it's smart too! Offering a 1Gbps service doesn't cost twice as much as offering a 100Mbps service. By making this move, HKBN will prompt high-end users who currently balk at the price of their 1 Gbps service to switch, thus generating a good revenue increase to a sizeable proportion of their customer base.

Furthermore, the PR impact of such a connection at such a price will be massive!

Way to go, HKBN!>>

Archived