Hamas

Guest baldrick

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jews have the right to live in peace. end of.

Hear hear! :up:

It's just that the present right wing Israeli government seems to be going about it the wrong way, cheered on by their powerful American lobby groups and others worldwide. 64 years they've been at it...longer than that really....the present conflict dates back to the 1920s.

Bill Clinton had them 48 negotiating hours over small details away from a permanent peace agreement in 2000, then Ariel Sharon took his famous provocative walk on Temple Mount with 1,000 bodyguards (not that he was expecting any trouble mind you...ho ho ho), all hell broke loose, and the peace deal collapsed. Sharon won the next election....can you see a pattern emerging every time there's an Israeli election?

By now they could have had 12 years of the peace and posperity...something that we both seem to agree upon.

Hi,

"ks, iran have openy said they wont to wipe israel off the map"

How does that negate "Palestinians have a right to live in peace"?

Besides, I thought this was about Israel-Palestine, so what does anything Iran says have to do with this?

I'll stick to '2 people fight, 2 people wrong'.

Sanuk!

Sure sounds like you have taken a side.

Why is that?

I have visited both sides of the fence. Received wonderful hospitality from both Jewish and Palestinian hosts. Have met some totally obnoxious Israelis travelling and some very pleasant ones too, and been flashed at and threatened with rape by Arab truck drivers when hitching years ago, and was robbed by the manager of the Beirut youth hostel.

The reason I seem one sided is that Israel is by far the more powerful partner and they hold all the cards.... a 3 month moratorium on settlement building (and a reciprocal halt to hostilities from the Palestinians) and they could be sitting down at a peace conference next week.

I can understand why Palestinians are angry at the daily humiliations, imprisonments, and suffering they experience at being occupied. We’d all probably resist too if we were still being occupied in the year 2012.

I personally think rockets are a war crime and they don’t work as a strategy anyway. The Palestinians should try a new tactic: Gandhi style passive resistance that got the British out of India. Shame Israel before the whole world with Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube clips of being made to dance or strip or wait hours in the hot sun at the whim of a psychopathic IDF checkpoint guard, or photos of dying children and the aged because of deliberate Israeli red tape refusing them access to drugs or hospitals, house demolitions and evictions, sociopathic fanatical Jewish settlers with American or Australian accents waving Uzis while they vandalise mosques or uproot centuries old olive plantations.

I would like to see permanent peace in the Middle East, based on:

• Land swaps 100% equivalent to areas occupied by Israel since 1967. They get to keep their large settlements (agreed Camp David 2000)
  • Let the Palestinians have a small slice of East Jerusalem as their capital (agreed Camp David 2000)
  • Token return of a few geriatric Palestinian refugees who were born in Israel. They’ll die out anyway. Massive international compensation for the rest...much cheaper than wars.
  • Completely demilitarized West bank and Gaza patrolled by joint UN, NATO, Arab league
  • The carrot.....After 10 years of peace and prosperity, both sides invited to join the EU, just like Cyprus 130 miles away.
  • A proviso that retains the Jewish right of return to Israel. So that descendants of Jews who fled pogroms and the Holocaust have a stepping stone to reclaim their European heritage. With peace perhaps more of world Jewry would at least register their [dual] citizenship in Israel to offset any demographic imbalance that Israel is worried about.

Israelis and Palestinians could be sitting on the most valuable piece of real estate in the world. $$ billions of global investment funds would pour in. Tourists would flock there in their millions to enjoy the climate and all the historical, cultural and religious treasures.

Young Israelis and Palestinians could lead normal teenage lives, rather than being brutalized in the army and suicide bomber schools.

The wind would be taken out of the sails of terrorist and rogue nations worldwide who use the Arab/Israeli conflict as an excuse for attacking the West.

Can you just imagine the dynamic of Israel and Palestine working together - the know how, the investment drive...Israeli/Arab trade, the pent-up energy now wasted in war and unemployment, and the world's good will. It would unleash an economic renaissance akin to the Chindia phenomenon. And what a beacon of enlightenment it would be to the rest of the Middle East and the world.

It would do my share portfolio some good too!

:beer:

The amount of money to be made by peace shouldn't be understated to BOTH sides. The Ottoman turks found that out with the thousands of pilgrimages done by the varied Christian faiths to the holy lands. The amount of money spent to travel there wasn't lost on the locals. Robbing pilgrims was penaized by death.

I have to think, as in a lot of conflicts, its the fringe of both sides that don't want peace. Too much power to lose. The late Arafat knew that and was reticent about a deal because he would lose power (and money). but knew he had to do the deal.

Its almost impossible for America to be a fair arbiter due to the internal political ramifications. The elder Bush found that in his '92 bid. Lost the Jewish vote and got the animus of the Jewish lobby here.

The UN needs to get the will and backbone to get involved as an impartial arbiter.

Guest lazyphil

I have to think, as in a lot of conflicts, its the fringe of both sides that don't want peace. Too much power to lose. The late Arafat knew that and was reticent about a deal because he would lose power (and money). but knew he had to do the deal.

:yeahthat:

ks, iran have openy said they wont to wipe israel off the map. israel have never said this of palestine.

...I believe the translation of what Imadinnerjacket said was he would like to see the Israeli “regime†wiped off the map...i.e. the racist Israel for Jews only, apartheid style 2nd class citizenship for non Jews, and none at all for occupied Palestinians. hear hear. I’d like to see that regime go too. What’s more it will disappear..one day there will be an Israelistine, once they get used to living peacefully alongside each other for a few decades..probably not in my lifetime though.

PS I'd like the Imadinnerjacket regime to disappear too and democracy established in Iran.

>>Israel have never said this of Palestine.

...Crikey Israel has already virtually done it not just said it!

israel-palestine_map.jpg

Archived