Carrying Your Passport

Sticks column this week is all about farangs being stopped, searched and asked to show their passports and he states,

"Personally I think it should be mandatory for foreigners to carry their passport with them at all times, just as Thais are required to carry their ID card with them."

I never carry mine and don't intend to start as I'm just not prepared to take the chance of losing it, small chance though it might be. Some say they carry a copy of theirs, but would this be acceptable to the police if they were stopped? Is it actually a Thai legal requirement for tourists to carry their passport at all time?

I've never heard of anyone being arrested for not having their passport. In the case where the police need the passport, the foreigner is usually accompanied back to his place of residence to get the passport. I have heard that police usually accept the copy without a problem on ordinary police stops. I doubt if thai authoritites want to piss off tourists on a 30 day visa by demanding their passport. My U.S. driver's licence has been enough the few times I have been stopped, mainly for traffic offences. Personally, if the thai authorities will issue a sort of Green Card to those in Thailand on longer visas, I would carry it, but not my passport. They already make foreigners living in LOS jump through hoops every 90 days, for no logical reason.

Having just read Stick's article about his incident near Suk. 22 and his reaction, neglected to mention that most of my time in Thailand is in the Chiang Mai area, not Bangkok. If I'm out and about there, I'm in a car or on a motorcycle, so its easy to ignore a cop. If I am stopped in the Bosang area and get a ticket, I turn it over to a thai friend that is a cop and he takes care of it. A much friendlier atmosphere up north than in Bangkok.

A while back, I was walking from the Emporium heading to Wash Sq. when two coppers on a motorbike passed me and stopped a white guy outside of the Dubliner. He was wearing the usual expat wear, white shirt, black trousers and carrying a man purse/computer bag. I was was wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sandals. Looking very tourist like. Needless to say, I did pick up my pace to get away from them.

I'm curious if they are profiling "expats" and leaving "tourist" alone.

From my limited research and information gathered, it's a tit situation. The law, I believe, requires all non-nationals to carry their passports. People believe a copy of this is acceptable. It is technically NOT acceptable however the police do not seem to push the issue although this seems like a money-maker for them to me. Somebody who may have read the actual law, please correct me but piecing together all the info I have, this is what I've come up with.

like Mr.Munchmaster i have no intention of carrying my passport with me at all times.

i do carry a photocopy but never get involved in instances where i might be interviewed by the police.

but if i did i have no worries about chatting to the police wether they accompany me to my hotel to see it or want to see it it the next day.

i'm a law abiding tourist..... :grinyes:

I beg to differ..you are NOT a law abiding citizen as I believe the actual written law REQUIRES us to carry the document. Also, no cop would be dumb enough to take the time to follow you to a hotel to see it nor be stupid enough to say 'see you tomorrow with your passport.'

That said, I am also not a law-abiding citizen at all times. I have carried it in the past but most times do not.

In the past 20 years, the Thai police have never asked to see my passport. No even a copy.

This has been in regards to traffic stops on motorbikes and the pickup truck.

I always show my International Driver's License, even though I have Thai Licenses.

This stopping people on the street has only started within the last 2 years or so and from what I hear, it is always in the farang areas

(Soi 22, etc). :dunno:

Maybe someone send the question to Stick and he can post the question to Sunbelt for a legal opinion

as to the law and the farang carrying their passport?

<< Is it actually a Thai legal requirement for tourists to carry their passport at all time?>>

This is a common mistake - it's required they carry "Identification" not a passport, however for most police they only thing they recognise as sufficient identification is a passport.

I've been stopped a number of times, I always produce my THAI identification and that's always been accepted. As they understand that is "real" and not a Kho San Rd knock off.

Also when travelling domestic and you need to show ID - I use my Thai identification and it's always accepted.

Archived