The Crossbar

The_Munchmaster

Munchy, you mentioned Stickman and Soi 23 - any experience with the 'random stop and search' he claims the BiB are conducting around Soi 22 and environs ? I know Soi 23 is on the other side of Suk, and he claims their efforts seem to be focussed on the even-numbered Sois, but from memory you spend plenty of time in that area. I dont know how many of you have your passport on you at all times in BKK, but I certainly dont .....

Munchy, you mentioned Stickman and Soi 23 - any experience with the 'random stop and search' he claims the BiB are conducting around Soi 22 and environs ? I know Soi 23 is on the other side of Suk, and he claims their efforts seem to be focussed on the even-numbered Sois, but from memory you spend plenty of time in that area. I dont know how many of you have your passport on you at all times in BKK, but I certainly dont .....

I've been staying on Soi 22 for almost 3 months and have never been stopped and none of the guys I know who drink around here have ever mentioned it happening. :dunno:

My taxi has been stopped twice in the last month on Soi 22 when coming back from Patpong in the early hours of the morning. On both occassions the police just shone their torches into the taxi to see who the passenger was and then waived us on.

Not quite next door as there are a few wee shops separating them.

Farther than I would have though. Must be more there than I recall :(

Yeah, opened in 2007 I'm told.

I leved in that area around 1999-2000, been past a few times since but probably less than 5, never noticed anything but could easily have been before 2007.

I've been staying on Soi 22 for almost 3 months and have never been stopped and none of the guys I know who drink around here have ever mentioned it happening. :dunno:

My taxi has been stopped twice in the last month on Soi 22 when coming back from Patpong in the early hours of the morning. On both occassions the police just shone their torches into the taxi to see who the passenger was and then waived us on.

Never heard of this. I spend typically 2 or 3 evenings a week in 22, often until past 2am, does this happen later?

Never heard of this. I spend typically 2 or 3 evenings a week in 22, often until past 2am, does this happen later?

Seems to be an 'all hours' thing now, but earlier reports indicated daytime searches. Bolding is mine.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2012/Bangkok-police-stop.htm

Since mention in last week's column that foreigners are again being stopped and searched by police around Sukhumvit soi 22, a number of reports have come in from readers. Further, two people I know personally have told me how they have been stopped, briefly questioned and searched by police in the last 2 weeks. All reports concern the Asoke intersection or sois 16, 18, 21, 22 and 23.

An Aussie mate was searched on Sukhumvit soi 21 sub-soi 2 very late on the night of Saturday 10th. He was asked where he was going, to show his passport and both his wallet and his pockets were checked. There were 6 cops in total and they were stopping cars too. Police checkpoints at night aren't uncommon.

A reader who has been emailing for years described being stopped by the police at lunch time at the Asoke BTS station just metres from the ticket machines. He was stopped by one cop who then radioed to another. He was able to provide multiple forms of ID when asked and in addition to his passport, he had his work permit and workplace ID on him. He was carrying a laptop and not only did they have him empty his pockets, they went through his wallet, computer bag and its side pockets. Inside the computer bag was his bank book and 3-year old daughter's bank book and every page was examined. He was even questioned about some transactions! He said he felt like he had been violated and has since contacted the British embassy about the incident.

The most concerning report of all came from a reader who was with a Thai female friend when they were stopped late at night about 10 days ago on Sukhumvit soi 22. .........................................................

Stick's paranoia ultimately comes to the fore in this vignette:

Earlier this year a good friend left Thailand. The reasons behind his decision to turn his back on almost 8 years in country were varied and complex, but a contributing factor was the police stops at the Asoke intersection late at night. After enjoying a night out on Sukhumvit, he'd be heading home to Rachada and as the taxi turned left off Sukhumvit at the Asoke intersection the cab would be stopped at the police checkpoint often in place late at night and would be asked to submit to a search. After a few drinks, dealing with the cops left him nervous and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Archived