Speaking Of Lao...

gawguy

Something is wrong as there is no "R" sound in modern Lao.

Sounds like an expression roughly equivalent to "He doesn't know Jack Shit."

."ruu-daak" is in Thai for Lovers on a page headed "Profanity" so I guess it is Thai, but I was thinking very vulgar Thai so maybe Lao. "daak" is translated as "ass" and "ruu" is hole. I've know other words for ass, but never heard "daak". The phrase also starts with "baugh" which is Lao, baugh?

Flashy's answer is the best. Generally speaking say an R like you would an L. By the way - be wary some girls will call you what sounds like darling - but is actually daakling - basically saying your face looks like a monkey's arse.

Also Coss is right - "baw mean" means can not - strong dissaproval etc. "Mean baw" is a question, can you do that?

Baw Bpen Nyang is a kind of half-hearted nevermind (similar to Mai bpen Rai) - notice the similarity to Thai.

in Isan Lao, due to the fact that they all speak Thai as well (and often switch to it for "prestige" reasons), they will sometimes use the "r" sound (which, Flashermac pointed out, does not exist in Lao) where the actual Lao word should began with "l" or "h".

in the case of the phrase you mentioned, it's "h," so it should be "baw huu huu daak" (falling tone on the first huu, high tone on the second huu)...a rough colloquial translation would be "you don't know your asshole from a hole in the ground".

Flashy's answer is the best. Generally speaking say an R like you would an L.

You are wrong. The "r" in lao is usually replaced by a "h".

Hotel. Thai: Rong Raem. Lao: Hong Haem. Hot. Thai: Rohn. Lao: Hohn. etc.

Bor hoo is eqvivalent to Mai Roo in central thai.

"Roo Dak" makes no sense when the speaker so clearly speaks lao and there is little chance that he/she would combine these 2 languages/dialects.

Archived