The Farang Yum Woonsen Vendor Of Bangkok

Boo Radley

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well "waerth":

Perhaps we wonder about it because we have jumped thru the proverbial hoops the country has in place so we can "legally" work here.

If I had to guess, I'd bet dollars to durian he doesn't have a Thai company, doesn't employ the requisite number of Thais to garner a work permit and probably doesn't pay Thai income tax. I'm not sayin' he ain't paying the เทศà¸à¸´à¸ˆ and or the Police money to have the stand there, or that he ain't makin' a living. I'm sayin' I highly doubt he's 'legal' to work.

His thai is pretty ruff-stuff. .. especially after that long in country and with a thai significant other too.

Flashermac had an excellent observation about what's called "situational fluency". As long as your controlling and/or having input into the direction of the conversation, some people can come off seeming like they're on solid ground Thai language-wise.

However, the instance a Thai gives an "off script" answer or one they're not preprogrammed to understand from the conversation; suddenly they're on thin ice over deep water and come off like a half wit.

It's the same as the Thai vendors which line the Soi's in tourist areas. They all possess enough English to ply their trade, answer the questions about their wares, etc. Yet go off topic and they get that deer in the head-lites look..

That guy in the video sucks up and lavishes the praises on this place and these people so much I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be who control the area look the other way. Thais LOVE a foreigner who sucks up to them. Plus given the highly regimented class driven workings of Thai society he's looked down on by almost everyone (whether he makes money hand over fist or not).

Hi,

"Perhaps we wonder about it because we have jumped thru the proverbial hoops the country has in place so we can "legally" work here. "

:yeahthat:

Frankly, I don't really care that much that he's working without a WP or paying taxes, but it does piss me off that he is so blatantly doing it and nobody seems to care. Makes me wonder why the fuck I am paying visa/wp fees and taxes?

Sanuk!

For those of us who have had to toe the line since day one, I totally agree. There are job restrictions in place, and I would think he is in one of those categories.

It will fall under "Hawking of Goods" a restricted trade under Alien Business Law.

There used to be a Dutch guy working at one of the big waterfalls in Kanchanaburi province.His Thai was very good,he was able to charm the many tourists ( mostly Thai ) and persuade them to have their photos/video taken and pay for it.Can`t see how he could have been legal though :dunno:

....,he was able to charm the many tourists ( mostly Thai ) and persuade them to have their photos/video taken and pay for it....

Thais don't need any persuasion to have their photos taken so not much charm needed there. :nono: Although perhaps getting them to pay for it might need a little (charm).

Archived