Are Thais Childish?

khunsanuk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" I find myself jumping out of their way all the time, haha."

When in a less than charitable mood I find myself ca-rashing into them often, the ones that do realize, that I'm not going to yield, leap out of the way at the last minute, with a look of bewilderment on their faces, haha!

105Kg Farang vs 62 Kg Thai - - - Truck vs Golf Cart

This also goes, to their viewing themselves as 'above' in status compared to me, the ones that give way, politely are invariable younger and female. The worst offenders in this game of pedestrian chicken, are usually males above the age of 14 and females above the age of 21.

JMHO

"the one that really pisses me off are the ones in a Shopping Mall who stop dead just before getting onto an escalator"

Even worse are the ones who stop dead as soon as they get off! :(

Naw, you can just push them out of the way the ones at the top get pushed ass over tit down a 3 Meter stair.

OK I have only pushed one Thai down an escalator and it was an accident but I must confess I get tempted everytime it happens in a mall.

Thais have zero planning abilities, IMO. PLAN...is grouped with the "bad" four letter words.

Now in China after some years away and I see where the Thai DNA came from...CHINA!

Same-same, driving, walking, but the thinking is not the same. The Chinese can analyze and diagnose things where

from the Thais that I have seen, even Thai doctors, cannot.

Like I say...Thai brain for sale...never used, low miles, going cheap...

Hi,

"For instance, if a Thai is going to walk in a certain direction, they walk there, regardless of the obstacles or the trajectories of other pedestrians."

Yep, I notice this a LOT with my wife. If we are walking side-by-side and turn a corner on my side she will inevitably cut me off, and be totally oblivous to it. I've gotten so used to this that I automatically slow down before the corner - so she can go first - and then speed up to catch up again.

Sanuk!

[Teddy] Roosevelt would map out the walk in a straight line from point A to point B. Then he would casually inform his party that there was one rule for the walk: “Over or through, but never around.†The straight line was literal. By the time the party realized that the walk was to follow a line from the start to the finish—and right on through Mother Nature for as many as five to ten miles—it was too late to back out. And then, before his guests could either blink, raise an eyebrow, or gulp, with a hearty “We will go!†the troupe sallied forth with Teddy in the lead: If a tree blocked the path, they climbed it; if a river interrupted—icy or not—they swum it; if a canyon suddenly appeared, they hiked straight down and back up it; if a pile of rocks impeded the path, they scrambled over it; if a precipice appeared, they let themselves down and over. There were simply no obstacles that couldn’t be conquered in this head on fashion. That was pure Roosevelt, gratuitous necessity.

Hopefully, four years of schooling in the U.S. has diminished my 3 step children's thai way of thinking. Its probably too late for the 18 year old step son. He never has comprehended that doing homework on time and studying for tests might be a good thing. He does think that, since he has turned 18, he can do anything he wants. To a certain extent, he is right. In U.S. public schools, once a student turns 18, he or she can sign themselves out of school for the day or individual classes, with no parental permission. He has no curfew and shows up when he wants to eat dinner (9 or 10 PM). If I touch him, I can be put in jail for child abuse. So, I have let him do his own thing this semester, with occasionally telling him when a test or a paper was due. The result is: he has failed 6 out of 7 courses and was fired from his job at Subway (for repeatedly not showing up for his shift on time). Fortunately, I only have to put up with it for 3 more weeks. I've told him that, if he wants to go back to the same school (and, hopefully, graduate, as he could have done if he passed all of his courses this semester), he will have to do it from one or more of his friends house(s). If he doesn't leave peacefully, I will call the police to have his ass kicked out. Hopefully, he will learn that his actions have repercussions and adjust his behavior, particularly at school and in the work force. I'm pretty sure that, if he doesn't already, he will hate my guts. I can live with that. Particularly since he has committed to joining the Army once he graduates. Hopefully, if he survives the military way of life, he will be more of an adult.

I wonder how Teddy's philosophy handled wildlife, particularly large, pissed off bears and elk ? I'd like to see him swimming the Mary River in NT - not particularly 'icy', but a notorious resting place for several American tourists and unfortunate Aboriginal children. In one case, a woman from the US ignored her tour guides, leapt from the boat to 'cool off' and was promptly taken by a 12m saltwater croc - either incredibly stupid or a needlessly elaborate suicide.

Archived