75 % Tax Rate Gets Gerard Depardieu To Surrender French Passport, Move.

TheCorinthian

Then you have not talked to any of them.

They may have no intention of leaving (economic immigrants/refugees etc) but as far as I know they would not need to renounce citizenship to be able to settle in the UK/France, so why should they? Especially if they ever intend to re visit families back home, which the ones I knew/worked with/drank with in the UK and down here often do. Obviously after any danger (if any) was gone.

In the UK one needs to fill in a P85 and apply for "Non-UK Residence" status which basically means one is exempt from Income Tax and National Insurance payments but I am still entitled to a British Passport as a "British Citizen", I am sure the same rules apply under a different code in USA, Australia and all other European Union Countries.

I may not have lived there for close on 25 years and my last 2 passports were issued from FCO (Foreign & Commonwealth Office) which then was British Embassy in Bangkok but at the end of the day I am still a British Citizen and as such am not only entitled to benefits if I was ever to return to UK but also gives me the right to work in any EU Country as I did 2 years ago when I was in Spain.

If I go to Saudi then I am stuck under an IQAMA and Pay GAMA Tax, for time in Singapore I need to apply for an Employment Pass and pay relevant tax, etc etc by country, FFS I am legally obliged to pay Social Fund in Thailand and I receive nothing from it apart from annual renewal of Work Permit and 12 Month Non-Imm B extension without questions being asked.

My old tag line used to be RTG, Rules, Tricks, Games as in know the rules learn the tricks and play the game, if the Multi-Nationals such as Google and Apple get away with paying next to nothing in EU what should stop me working in EU and paying 1% "Consultants Fees via a Swiss Company and banking the rest?

Lets be honest nobody enjoys paying tax and tries as much as they can to keep their personal deductions to the minimum as much as they can as long as it is within the law. Currently my income gores via the Caymen Islands and my Thai income is 50,000 THB / Month the minimum requirement for a Thai Work Permit, whilst it may not be morally correct it complies with the law, anything wrong with that?

Taxation and revenue returns has always been a game of poacher and gamekeeper the poacher just needs to know how to stay one step ahead. No I don't earn megabucks but the 40% tax I save goes towards my pension fund, I don't want to be working all my life, if an average working class joe like myself can take advantage of Swiss Consultants or Caymen Island holding companies then I am sure many others could do the same.

OK, my mother is a retired Charted Accountant who played International Markets and is now getting close to her 80th birthday now but still with the mind of a 50 year old, so I do have a great consultant on my team, one of the oldest things I learned was "Listen to your Mother" I'm glad that I do so occasionally.

I don't begrudge anyone who tries the "Legal Ways" to avoid Income tax, especially in the UK where if I was ever to work again I would be taxed at 50% with no allowance, a single man with no kids pays through the nose for friggin' family allowance for the baby factories and Income support for the one legal immigrant and his / her family of 20 hanger ons,

Why the hell I should get hammered so the government can pay out to Eastern Europeans to Live on the Social and claim Family Benefit, that does not make economic sense to me, a society where I with no kids in school has to pay more tax to support the education system of jobless wasters with no income to support not only the education of their kids but also payments for Family Allowance and their Social Security income.

Before anyone calls me a bigot for considering going back to UK for free Healthcare, I have continued to pay into my National Insurance Fund ever since the day I became Non UK Resident, in fact last time I asked I was told I had paid over GBP 3000 more than I needed to until I was 65 and am due a rebate.

All the power to legal tax dodgers in my mind :)

Archived