Xmas Day In Bkk - Will Everything Be Open ?

gobbledonk

I know - there is a sticky re the bars - but I'm wondering if people simply go to work as normal next Tuesday in Thailand, as they do in Japan ? Thais may not be much for the birth of the baby Jesus (as opposed to Australians ...), but this is one holiday I imagine many Thais would embrace warmly - Boxing Day. I was amused to find that its celebrated in Canada, presumably to the complete puzzlement of their southern neighbors, but its the idea of the working classes receiving gifts from their employers that I believe many Thais would be thrilled to experience. Granted, I dont know of anyone who actually DOES give their employees gifts on a public holiday, but it may boost morale in those countries where Dec 26 is 'just another work day'.

We may have to work on the name, though - young minds may decide that December 26 is a day for something other than gift-giving and loving thy fellow man. :yikes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

Boxing Day is traditionally the day following Christmas Day, when servants and tradesmen would receive gifts from their superiors[1] or employers, known as a "Christmas box". Today, Boxing Day is better known as a bank or public holiday that occurs on 26 December, or the first or second weekday after Christmas Day, depending on national or regional laws. It is observed in the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and some other Commonwealth nations.

Hi GD Christmas in Thailand is ...just put up decorations and that is about it ...a few will wear santa hats at restaurants other garb ..we will go all out this year at our local BKK Restaurant and have our own decorations ..a lot of kids as well this year so should be better and more fun than the last few times in Bangkok.... :xmascheer:neener:

Archived